SMO Junior

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Maths Oasis and SMO Jr Training

Post by kohjl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi,

I have been reading this thread and note that MathsHub SMO Jr training is supposed to be good. But that's in Jurong and really far for me. Has anyone's child gone thru Maths Oasis (Middle Road) for SMO Jr training? Is it good?

Any other place for SMO Jr training that you would recommend?

Would appreciate yr feedback.

Thanks and Regards. :D

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Maths Oasis and SMO Jr Training

Post by Dharma » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:47 pm

kohjl wrote:Hi,

I have been reading this thread and note that MathsHub SMO Jr training is supposed to be good. But that's in Jurong and really far for me. Has anyone's child gone thru Maths Oasis (Middle Road) for SMO Jr training? Is it good?

Any other place for SMO Jr training that you would recommend?

Would appreciate yr feedback.

Thanks and Regards. :D
Hi kohjl,

Mathshub is good for SMO Jr. They are in Bkt Batok actually. Now, they have a branch called Maths Arena at Tampines. See address below

Blk 488B Tampines Street 45 #B1-147 Singapore 521488
Tel: 67833218, 67819325, 9181 3492
Email: admin@matharena.com.sg
Homepage: www.matharena.com.sg

Not so sure abt Maths Oasis. What I heard is that many who went to Maths Oasis switched over to Maths Hub.

If you looking out for kohjljr(Plasmastorm)...the best will be for him to join the RI SMO training team. Will have the seniors/trainers to provide him with best of training and ...it is free of charge!!

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Dharma

Thanks so much for your advice and reply! Will check out Maths Arena to see whether they have anything for the coming holidays.... better to keep PlasmaStorm gainfully occupied. He's fast becoming a computer addict after PSLE! :shock:

Regards. :D

justbehappy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by justbehappy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 pm

kohjl wrote:Thanks so much for your advice and reply! Will check out Maths Arena to see whether they have anything for the coming holidays.... better to keep PlasmaStorm gainfully occupied. He's fast becoming a computer addict after PSLE! :shock:
Hi kohjl, you might consider letting him work on the questions from the past year SMO solution books. Just 4-5 questions a day, and refer to the solutions only at the last resort. By the end of the holidays, he would have quite a good grasp of the MO concepts. 8)

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Herbie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Where can we get the past year SMP Q from? Can we get it from Popular?
It is suitable for P3 going to P4 kid?

Can someone advise please?

tx

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 pm

justbehappy wrote: Hi kohjl, you might consider letting him work on the questions from the past year SMO solution books. Just 4-5 questions a day, and refer to the solutions only at the last resort. By the end of the holidays, he would have quite a good grasp of the MO concepts. 8)
Hi justbehappy
Thanks for your good suggestion! Any idea whether I can get the SMO books from Popular? Regards.

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Dharma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:03 pm

kohjl wrote:
justbehappy wrote: Hi kohjl, you might consider letting him work on the questions from the past year SMO solution books. Just 4-5 questions a day, and refer to the solutions only at the last resort. By the end of the holidays, he would have quite a good grasp of the MO concepts. 8)
Hi justbehappy
Thanks for your good suggestion! Any idea whether I can get the SMO books from Popular? Regards.
Hi kohjl,

You can get them from http://sms.math.nus.edu.sg/Publication/ ... .aspx#Book

mjl
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mjl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:22 pm

kohjl wrote:
Hi justbehappy
Hi kohji,
Yes, I agree that it is a good way to pick up MO skills by practising past year questions. My kids have been learning MO thru solving lots of problems from SMO solution books. I think it is more effective than attending enrichment classes! Your son could also check with his older brother if he could not understand the solutions given. Start with the SMO(J) Round 1 questions first. 'Tick' questions which have been solved so that there is no need to revisit these questions when he prepares for the SMO(J) next year in early Jun.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:13 pm

mjl wrote: Hi kohji,
Yes, I agree that it is a good way to pick up MO skills by practising past year questions. My kids have been learning MO thru solving lots of problems from SMO solution books. I think it is more effective than attending enrichment classes! Your son could also check with his older brother if he could not understand the solutions given.
Thanks, justbehappy, Dharma and mjl for your advice. I am quite suaku about this even though I had an elder one that went thru it cos my Sec 4 son is a really independent self-learner who had sat for SMOPs and SMO on his own steam. I have never bought any SMOPs or SMO books for him before. But my younger P6 son needs a more guided approach - so thanks for all yr advice! Much appreciated. :D

fudgemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by fudgemum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi all,
I do not know whether I am posting this in the wrong thread. Is there books vailable for preparing SMOPS/APMOPS (P6 olympiad) like SMO ? TIA.