Math poor grade

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Math poor grade

Postby Divha » Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Fellow Kiasuians,

This semester 1 exam, my sec 1 DS got very low marks in Math subject. The rest of the subjects are around 69 to 75 range. I'm really worried and stressed. That's why I turned to here for any advice, suggestion and recommendation .

When I met the Form and math teachers, they expressed their shock why only this subject suffered so much in her hands. Neither I couldn't able to answer their questions nor to sleep thereafter. So, my dear friends, pls help. Thanks. :sweat:

Divha
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Math poor grade

Postby halost » Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Have you ask the dd if she could cope with the maths lesson the teacher teach..maths
Is based on understanding and not
Just keep doing question or
Exam paper

halost
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Divha » Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Halost,

sorry it's my dd not ds. I've asked her but her reply seems to be yes. But my worry is whether she properly understands how to apply or not. I'm lost somewhere !!!

Divha
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi,
Low performance in a subject could be due to many reasons.
So maybe you will want to have a small relaxed talk with your dd and a reflection with regard to the test paper.

Possible reasons could be :
1) (worst case scenario) lack of practise or even minimal effort put in to understand the concepts
2) big gap or difference between the questions seen/practised in class vs the test questions
3) has difficulty applying (as what you worried) and coping

The best way to get an idea is really to examine the test paper and see where the marks are lost. It could also be strict marking, that your dd's presentation is not up to the teacher's expectations.Maybe your dd really has problems coping but just reply no problem to ease your worries :)

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby elderflowertea » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 am

Is your child able to do the school work which her Math teacher gave? Take a look at her exam paper and see whether she has made many careless mistakes or that the exam questions are much more difficult than what she has been doing in class. How did her classmates do?

elderflowertea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sinceiwasfive » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 am

Divha how's your child now?

sinceiwasfive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Divha » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Sinceiwasfive,

Sorry dear for my late replies. Thanks for your concern.
Busy in helping my dd for the common test2. This week is the holiday. Now preparing for the Eoy. In Common test2, she has shown little bit of improvement in math.

I'm following what other fellow kiasuians advised me. I think my dd still need to more effort. Don't know how to the roll the ball ? Hmm, let us see.

Divha
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jtutor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Divha,
Hope you are coping fine with your dd's studies.
I can understand that students need to go through a transitional stage from P6 to Sec1 so there might be a temporary slip in results. Sec Maths is very different from Pri Maths; for eg Sec Maths requires a strong foundation of Algebra which is not often applied in Pri Maths. The good news is Sec Maths is not difficult to pick up as long as she builds a good foundation during her Sec 1-2 years. O levels are still 3 years away so there are plenty of time to catch up. Dun worry n take care :)

Jtutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Divha » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Jtutor,

Thanks for your kind concerns. For the EOY exam, my dd has shown little more improvement in math grades.

Please advise how to drill her maths during these holidays. Thanks a lot.

Divha
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jtutor » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:33 am

Hi Divha,

Glad to know that your dd had shown some improvement in Maths for EOY.

To be honest, it may not be the best approach to just drill her with lots of qns. The most important thing is to understand where are her areas of weakness and what are her common mistakes by going through her Maths papers. You may discover a combination of factors but ultimately if she can demonstrate positive learning attitude, i'm sure she will do even better next year.

Hope she has someone who can guide her and clarify any doubt or qn for her, be it yourself, her teacher or a good tutor. Let me know if I can be of any help. All the best!

Jtutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support