Should my child drop to combined science?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Should my child drop to combined science?

Postby nono81 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:08 am

Hello all,

Many parents are lost when come to this question. I uploaded my views at my blog: http://chensciencetuition.blogspot.sg/

Please note that this is purely my opinions after many years of teaching.Hope it helps especially during this critical period.

nono81
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Should my child drop to combined science?

Postby wilburlim » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:09 pm

In the end, it depends entirely on the student's objectives and assessment of what he/she wants. Ultimately, they are going to reap what they have sowed, and I am affirmative that if they put in hard work consistently, for real, scoring A1 for a pure science subject would not be a bane at all. Some students tend to think that it is a stigma to drop to combined science. They know themselves well, and if they do not think that they have the aptitude to do well in this abstruse subject, then it would be apt to relinquish the subject.

In a nutshell, education is similar to gambling, but it does not involve massive sums of money of course, unless if you consider tuition, enrichment courses, etc. If you choose this subject out of your own volition, you take it and excel it. Yes, there is a way to drop the subject, but you can do so after a year studying the subject. After that, there is no way Cambridge is going to reimburse your exam fees.

wilburlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jacktutor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Combined science is not a bad thing. I have one student taking combined science but using the assessment books for pure physics and chemistry instead. In this case, student has a higher chance of getting A for combined science, and yet she would still not lose out if she choose to continue to do science in JC or University levels because of the pure science tuition I'm giving her.

jacktutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby germalux » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:46 pm

what is difference between combined science and pure science??

germalux
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jacktutor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:47 pm

germalux wrote:what is difference between combined science and pure science??

Combined science generally covers less scope and is usually easier than pure physics or chemistry.

jacktutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support