Who choose the tuition teacher - you or your child?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Who choose the tuition teacher - you or your child?

Postby elishatan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 pm

In secondary schools, the child should roughly know what they want. So do you choose the tuition teacher for your child or does your child select himself/herself?

elishatan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Who choose the tuition teacher - you or your child?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 am

For teenagers, I think that any decision involving them should have their input. Parents can set major criteria and retain veto rights, but the student should also have a say in what sort of tuition, whether they feel the tutor is a good fit in terms of personality and teaching style etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby whitecorp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 pm

slmkhoo wrote:For teenagers, I think that any decision involving them should have their input. Parents can set major criteria and retain veto rights, but the student should also have a say in what sort of tuition, whether they feel the tutor is a good fit in terms of personality and teaching style etc.

Second that. Both learning style and teaching methods must be suitably aligned if results are to be achieved. Besides, a teenager being accorded a role in the selection of the tutor will feel respected as a young adult, and hence would be more willing to make potential tutoring arrangements work well. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm

We sit down and discuss together. It is also a good way to teach your kids what is good and bad. When i was younger (secondary school age), i chose a teacher based on if she is pretty or he is good looking. Hahahaha......

Criteria:
First, i would like to speak with the tutor if possible. Those who cant even speak properly, that is, loads of Singlish - "Out".

2. Not all school teachers are good. I had one teaching Eng & Geog, my goodness, A school teacher who speaks so much Singlish in that 5 min. Not only that, she is a time watcher. I'm not saying that the tutor has to give extra, but at least complete the paragraph or the thought or the subtopic...... she is like a machine that turn off her lesson at the exact time. "blah blah blah..... oh.... (she will say) "times up", then she closed the book.
Like i said - not all, the school teacher we have now is good, very responsible.

3. Subject knowledge. I have one who is fresh A level, her subject knowledge is fantastic and she's quite good at teaching my dd.

4. Chemistry..... both tutor and student must be able to get along. The tutor needs to apply the right techniques to the students.
We had a tutor who always use scare tactics. "If you dont study hard, Sir Stamford Raffles will jump out of the grave and stare at you". I heard it for myself. :faint: I think the tutor is mad. My dd asked me why would Sir Stamford Raffles jump out of the grave.

I think it depends on individual. If the teacher is good for me may not be good for you.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby weatherbee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:We sit down and discuss together. It is also a good way to teach your kids what is good and bad. When i was younger (secondary school age), i chose a teacher based on if she is pretty or he is good looking. Hahahaha......

Criteria:
First, i would like to speak with the tutor if possible. Those who cant even speak properly, that is, loads of Singlish - "Out".

2. Not all school teachers are good. I had one teaching Eng & Geog, my goodness, A school teacher who speaks so much Singlish in that 5 min. Not only that, she is a time watcher. I'm not saying that the tutor has to give extra, but at least complete the paragraph or the thought or the subtopic...... she is like a machine that turn off her lesson at the exact time. "blah blah blah..... oh.... (she will say) "times up", then she closed the book.
Like i said - not all, the school teacher we have now is good, very responsible.

3. Subject knowledge. I have one who is fresh A level, her subject knowledge is fantastic and she's quite good at teaching my dd.

4. Chemistry..... both tutor and student must be able to get along. The tutor needs to apply the right techniques to the students.
We had a tutor who always use scare tactics. "If you dont study hard, Sir Stamford Raffles will jump out of the grave and stare at you". I heard it for myself. :faint: I think the tutor is mad. My dd asked me why would Sir Stamford Raffles jump out of the grave.

I think it depends on individual. If the teacher is good for me may not be good for you.

Haha. The Sir Stamford Raffles case is funny. For me, I will choose the tutor and my daughter will give me feedback after a few lessons. If she can't get along with the tutor and can give me good reasons, then I will change tutor. Anyway, my daughter's tutor is like a friend to her so she enjoys her tuition lessons.

I agree with if the teacher is good for me may not be good for you. Some kids need strict teachers but if the teacher is very strict, my daughter will feel very stressed and can't absorb properly. She needs a patient and nice tutor. For my son, he tends to misbehave so he needs a more strict tutor.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jaztxm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:56 am

slmkhoo wrote:For teenagers, I think that any decision involving them should have their input. Parents can set major criteria and retain veto rights, but the student should also have a say in what sort of tuition, whether they feel the tutor is a good fit in terms of personality and teaching style etc.

i agree. As a student, I understand my learning needs better than anyone else. Of course, kiasu parents would never let the child completely choose by himself/herself. Perhaps they would speak with the teacher first. When deciding if i want to attend tuition, I make sure that my teacher is qualified, has good character and that the method of teaching is suited to me.

I'll definitely not want to get cheated by the teacher. :siam: :goodpost:

jaztxm
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support