Subject Combination

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Subject Combination

Postby a child » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm hoping that I posted this in the right forum. Basically, our Upper Sec subject combination choices are due Monday, and my main trouble is Biology vs. Literature.

The subjects I will definitely want/have to take are:
1. English
2. HCL
3. E. Math / A. Math
4. Physics
5. Chemistry
6. History
7. Social Studies

Then I would like to choose either Bio or Lit to get Triple Science + History, or Physics Chemistry History Lit for content subjects. There is no selectivity at all regarding combinations at my school, and it's also very liberal and there are few requirements - there is quite a handful taking Triple Humans. Also, I think my prospective JC combination would be PCME, meaning I'll drop both Bio and Lit - so which one I take doesn't really matter in that aspect.

If this will be useful in anyway, my scores this semester, rounded to the nearest 5, are roughly: English (85), Math (95), Physics (80), HCL (80), Lit (80), Geog (85), History (80). I took Bio/Chem modules last year, and scored between 75-80 for both.

The problem is that I'm not particularly good at either Lit or Bio. Sure, I'm interested in them both, but I can't mug well, and I'm not a particularly emotional/analytical person when it comes to Lit. I would say that to do reasonably, maybe around 75-80, Lit would require far less effort, because sitting down and memorizing is not my forte, but if I want to score a pretty safe 4.0 it would be tough for Lit. For Bio I'm pretty sure I can mug my way through, if I try hard enough.

In addition, regarding future choices - I understand that Bio will be more practical when it comes to Uni choices because it lays the foundations of many courses esp for Medicine/Biochemistry/etc. However, I also thought that my literary foundation in terms of general knowledge and analytical abilities are not that great, and ironically precisely because I'm not that good at it I want to challenge myself and develop myself better in that area. Like, I probably can't hold a discussion about the Classics well, and I was under the impression that that is a more useful hole to plug as compared to say, learning about enzymes and DNA.

And I'm not sure if I should consider this - but I thought that taking Lit would balance my schedule by having two Humans, and two Sciences as opposed to Triple Science, and would provide for a more well-rounded education. Lit will also help with English, I think. However, Science is probably more practical, better job prospects, and you can't take it up at JC without prior experience unlike Lit (major major consideration)

So it comes down to this: Take Bio, be safe about JC/Uni combination, be more Science (practical?), mug more, but have a potentially higher GPA, or, take Lit, be more well-rounded, study less, but probably a lower GPA? Also, any consideration/insight that I have missed out?

Thank you!(:

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Subject Combination

Postby jtoh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:36 am

Hi a child,

You scored a GPA of 4.0 in Semester 1? Wow!!

I see you've thought through the subject combination very carefully. I think GPA should be the least of your concerns as far as choosing between Bio and Lit. Your grades in your other subjects are strong. And in Upper Sec, Math comprises two subjects, so presumably you'll score 4.0 in both and make up the requisite 7 subject calculation there. Also, you'll probably be doing an RA or 2?

I say go for the subject you are more interested in and one which will enrich you as a person in the long run. As you say, you probably won't be doing both Bio and Lit in JC so it doesn't matter. Unless you think you might possibly change your mind and want to take up Bio in JC, in which case you must have taken it in Upper Sec.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby a child » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 pm

jtoh wrote:Hi a child,

You scored a GPA of 4.0 in Semester 1? Wow!!

I see you've thought through the subject combination very carefully. I think GPA should be the least of your concerns as far as choosing between Bio and Lit. Your grades in your other subjects are strong. And in Upper Sec, Math comprises two subjects, so presumably you'll score 4.0 in both and make up the requisite 7 subject calculation there. Also, you'll probably be doing an RA or 2?

I say go for the subject you are more interested in and one which will enrich you as a person in the long run. As you say, you probably won't be doing both Bio and Lit in JC so it doesn't matter. Unless you think you might possibly change your mind and want to take up Bio in JC, in which case you must have taken it in Upper Sec.

Nope, I didn't get a 4.0. My Lit was a 3.6, but if I scored half a mark higher for a paper I would've gotten a 4.0. I can't remember my exact score though, so I put 80 as an approximation.

And I guess I'm over-thinking this but whenever I think about how these are the subjects I'm going to be mugging and losing sleep over and dying for (hopefully not though) next year, I start getting paranoid about making the wrong choice.

Yes, I'll be applying for two RAs next year (Math and Chem), though obviously I'm not sure I'll get in. That's another reason why I want to take Lit - because it will help balance out an otherwise more science-oriented schedule. And I guess the workload for Lit is less, and it's more of a fun-class, which would be good especially since if I do get into what I apply for, I'll have to deal with two RAs plus SMP. They'll be fun I guess and I'm really hoping that I do get in, and if I do I'd like to spend more time on these (and still be able to keep a relatively sane sleeping schedule).

Anyway, my final decision will probably be physchemhistlit. But I still have till Monday to change my mind! Hopefully, I won't end up regretting not having taken Bio.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi a child,

Yes, I do think you're over thinking it. I think you should just go for the subject you'll enjoy. Are you doing 3rd lang, MEP or SAP? If so, your schedule is going to be packed.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support