EESIS

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

EESIS

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

I'm not sure this belongs here, but I can't think where else to post this.

My question is - when was the EESIS instituted? At the time it was started, did the $200 per month cover the whole of the school fees (I seem to recall that it did)? At the moment, with school fees in the region of $300 per mth, it still leaves families to find $100 per mth, on top of the misc fees, books, compulsory computer, CCA uniforms etc etc. Has there been any move to get the EESIS increased to cover the whole of the school fees (which I believe was the original intention of the scholarship)? I know there are bursaries available for lower income families, but there are those over the bursary threshhold who still find $100 per mth plus everything else quite a drain on their resources. Thanks.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: EESIS

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I'm not sure this belongs here, but I can't think where else to post this.

My question is - when was the EESIS instituted? At the time it was started, did the $200 per month cover the whole of the school fees (I seem to recall that it did)? At the moment, with school fees in the region of $300 per mth, it still leaves families to find $100 per mth, on top of the misc fees, books, compulsory computer, CCA uniforms etc etc. Has there been any move to get the EESIS increased to cover the whole of the school fees (which I believe was the original intention of the scholarship)? I know there are bursaries available for lower income families, but there are those over the bursary threshhold who still find $100 per mth plus everything else quite a drain on their resources. Thanks.


almost all the IS schools have financial assistance schemes to help the lower income family - effectively paying zero, as long as the child is in the school, even when the child does not qualify for EESIS. (Not everyone in IS qualifies for EESIS.). In fact have not heard of anyone having to turn away due to financial reason, nor any school without financial assistance schemes. There are forms to fill up during registration of sec 1
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: EESIS

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:07 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:I'm not sure this belongs here, but I can't think where else to post this.

My question is - when was the EESIS instituted? At the time it was started, did the $200 per month cover the whole of the school fees (I seem to recall that it did)? At the moment, with school fees in the region of $300 per mth, it still leaves families to find $100 per mth, on top of the misc fees, books, compulsory computer, CCA uniforms etc etc. Has there been any move to get the EESIS increased to cover the whole of the school fees (which I believe was the original intention of the scholarship)? I know there are bursaries available for lower income families, but there are those over the bursary threshhold who still find $100 per mth plus everything else quite a drain on their resources. Thanks.


almost all the IS schools have financial assistance schemes to help the lower income family - effectively paying zero, as long as the child is in the school, even when the child does not qualify for EESIS. (Not everyone in IS qualifies for EESIS.). In fact have not heard of anyone having to turn away due to financial reason, nor any school without financial assistance schemes. There are forms to fill up during registration of sec 1

I'm aware of that. I guess it's the poverty trap issue for us - we're not so poor that we can't afford the fees and qualify for assistance, but not so well-off that we don't feel the pinch. I was just wondering if there is any justification for asking for the EESIS quantum to be increased.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: EESIS

Postby wiimum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I'm aware of that. I guess it's the poverty trap issue for us - we're not so poor that we can't afford the fees and qualify for assistance, but not so well-off that we don't feel the pinch. I was just wondering if there is any justification for asking for the EESIS quantum to be increased.


I know what you mean. I have thought about that for a while too. The EESIS has been in placed for a number of years and have been fixed at $200 for years. But the schools fees of the independent schools have been on the uptrend and I believe all of them are way above $200 now. In fact I know of some students who did not qualify for the EESIS transferred from the independent schools to NJC or River Valley as the fees are more affordable.

Perhaps KS parents can start a petition?

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: EESIS

Postby cchew » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 pm

There is a MOE Independent School Bursary (ISB) Scheme which help to parents to lighten the burden.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/financial-assistance/

For example, for a family of 4, if the total family income is S$5000. Then they are entitle 50% school fee subsidy.

If they are not able to claim EESIS, based on school fee $300 per month, they pay $150 per month. (not sure if they need to pay another $13 administration charges)

If they can can claim EESIS, the $150 will be claim under EESIS which means that they only need to pay $13 per month. (administration charges)

If the school has supplementary fee (eg. $20) on top of school fee, then the student will pay S$33 per month.

cchew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:26 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: EESIS

Postby jtoh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

I don't think there's any impetus for MOE to raise the EESIS quantum. Afterall, if I'm not mistaken, the EESIS quantum was capped at $2400 pa at a time when school fees were already higher than $2400 pa already. Previously EESIS covered the cost of fees.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: EESIS

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 am

jtoh wrote:I don't think there's any impetus for MOE to raise the EESIS quantum. Afterall, if I'm not mistaken, the EESIS quantum was capped at $2400 pa at a time when school fees were already higher than $2400 pa already. Previously EESIS covered the cost of fees.

OK, thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Because if the intention was to cover all the fees, then a revision is due; but if that wasn't the intention, I guess we just have to do our sums and decide if we can afford it.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8072
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: EESIS

Postby Snow Crystal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 am

My take on EESIS is that the government really wants to help us in the fees in various forms.

I gather from my senior friends that previously when it started, the government pay for whatever fees the IPs charge ie practically free for those who qualify for IP.what they told me was then the IPs cite higher costs for teachers etc etc then raise fees - well, anyway Government will pay right :evil: :imcool: Government then decides to cap it at $200 per month. So imagine if the government increase the cap to say $350 which help to defray practically all the current IP fees, then you know what is next step :evil: - the IPs will cite some more reasons to increase the fees to probably $450 or even $500.. Like the childcare subsidy lah - increase CC subsidy, straight away the CC cite increase in rental, costs etc to increase the CC fees up up and away. So any coverage by the government in the end we the consumers or end users still have to fork out the difference in IP's case that $100++ per month for Sch fees.

Now so how to help the kids? Government gives MOE ISB (Independent Sch Bursary) - scheme with scale for household income up to $7200 with per capita income up to $1800 can enjoy 33% Sch fee subsidy. For the first rung, household income not exceeding $2500, 100% subsidy plus free textbooks etc :smile: ....you go look at MOE website.

Some more, for those who did not get the EESIS after PSLE ie did not score 260 and above and perform well in some IP Scholarship test, the Government further gives ESIP - Edusave Scholarship for IP for Year 3-6 of the IP program ...what is quantum?.... SAME as others who get EESIS...Yes! $2400 per year! So the parents only pay for first 2 years. Then you will ask "but need some test then can get"... From what I am seeing, the IPs are very happy to recommend as many of their Year 2s as possible at year end.

As for EESIS, I am always very :scratchhead: when ppl ask "need to do very well or not in IP to qualify for EESIS yearly? What minimum score at year end huh .... Minimum GPA, minimum MSG". MOE purposely make it vague for your DC to enjoy 6 year scholarship, we still go and ask for so much details ...one day if they set min GPA, MSG :spank: :heresmyfish:

So all in all, the Government wants to help but in my opinion, don't want to be at mercy of institutions who ride on their help to keep increasing fees etc. So assistance is crafted in another way.

The above is my own interpretation of government help for IPs. Please help to correct me if I am wrong in any area :smile:

Snow Crystal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: EESIS

Postby julialai » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Snow Crystal wrote:My take on EESIS is that the government really wants to help us in the fees in various forms.

I gather from my senior friends that previously when it started, the government pay for whatever fees the IPs charge ie practically free for those who qualify for IP.what they told me was then the IPs cite higher costs for teachers etc etc then raise fees - well, anyway Government will pay right :evil: :imcool: Government then decides to cap it at $200 per month. So imagine if the government increase the cap to say $350 which help to defray practically all the current IP fees, then you know what is next step :evil: - the IPs will cite some more reasons to increase the fees to probably $450 or even $500.. Like the childcare subsidy lah - increase CC subsidy, straight away the CC cite increase in rental, costs etc to increase the CC fees up up and away. So any coverage by the government in the end we the consumers or end users still have to fork out the difference in IP's case that $100++ per month for Sch fees.

Now so how to help the kids? Government gives MOE ISB (Independent Sch Bursary) - scheme with scale for household income up to $7200 with per capita income up to $1800 can enjoy 33% Sch fee subsidy. For the first rung, household income not exceeding $2500, 100% subsidy plus free textbooks etc :smile: ....you go look at MOE website.

Some more, for those who did not get the EESIS after PSLE ie did not score 260 and above and perform well in some IP Scholarship test, the Government further gives ESIP - Edusave Scholarship for IP for Year 3-6 of the IP program ...what is quantum?.... SAME as others who get EESIS...Yes! $2400 per year! So the parents only pay for first 2 years. Then you will ask "but need some test then can get"... From what I am seeing, the IPs are very happy to recommend as many of their Year 2s as possible at year end.

As for EESIS, I am always very :scratchhead: when ppl ask "need to do very well or not in IP to qualify for EESIS yearly? What minimum score at year end huh .... Minimum GPA, minimum MSG". MOE purposely make it vague for your DC to enjoy 6 year scholarship, we still go and ask for so much details ...one day if they set min GPA, MSG :spank: :heresmyfish:

So all in all, the Government wants to help but in my opinion, don't want to be at mercy of institutions who ride on their help to keep increasing fees etc. So assistance is crafted in another way.

The above is my own interpretation of government help for IPs. Please help to correct me if I am wrong in any area :smile:


:goodpost: Informative n helpful for us with first child going to IP! Thanks Snow Crystal.

julialai
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:09 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: EESIS

Postby emoh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am

julialai wrote:
Snow Crystal wrote:My take on EESIS is that the government really wants to help us in the fees in various forms.

I gather from my senior friends that previously when it started, the government pay for whatever fees the IPs charge ie practically free for those who qualify for IP.what they told me was then the IPs cite higher costs for teachers etc etc then raise fees - well, anyway Government will pay right :evil: :imcool: Government then decides to cap it at $200 per month. So imagine if the government increase the cap to say $350 which help to defray practically all the current IP fees, then you know what is next step :evil: - the IPs will cite some more reasons to increase the fees to probably $450 or even $500.. Like the childcare subsidy lah - increase CC subsidy, straight away the CC cite increase in rental, costs etc to increase the CC fees up up and away. So any coverage by the government in the end we the consumers or end users still have to fork out the difference in IP's case that $100++ per month for Sch fees.

Now so how to help the kids? Government gives MOE ISB (Independent Sch Bursary) - scheme with scale for household income up to $7200 with per capita income up to $1800 can enjoy 33% Sch fee subsidy. For the first rung, household income not exceeding $2500, 100% subsidy plus free textbooks etc :smile: ....you go look at MOE website.

Some more, for those who did not get the EESIS after PSLE ie did not score 260 and above and perform well in some IP Scholarship test, the Government further gives ESIP - Edusave Scholarship for IP for Year 3-6 of the IP program ...what is quantum?.... SAME as others who get EESIS...Yes! $2400 per year! So the parents only pay for first 2 years. Then you will ask "but need some test then can get"... From what I am seeing, the IPs are very happy to recommend as many of their Year 2s as possible at year end.

As for EESIS, I am always very :scratchhead: when ppl ask "need to do very well or not in IP to qualify for EESIS yearly? What minimum score at year end huh .... Minimum GPA, minimum MSG". MOE purposely make it vague for your DC to enjoy 6 year scholarship, we still go and ask for so much details ...one day if they set min GPA, MSG :spank: :heresmyfish:

So all in all, the Government wants to help but in my opinion, don't want to be at mercy of institutions who ride on their help to keep increasing fees etc. So assistance is crafted in another way.

The above is my own interpretation of government help for IPs. Please help to correct me if I am wrong in any area :smile:


:goodpost: Informative n helpful for us with first child going to IP! Thanks Snow Crystal.


There is also the E(IS)YA for those who miss the EESIS. Need to be top 5% of respective cohort in each IS.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/edusa ... rds/eisya/

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am
Total Likes: 3


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support