Triple Science and Double Science

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Triple Science and Double Science

Postby concernmother » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 am

Hi,
Can someone enlighten me? My DD is Sec 2 this year. Take for example she gets in double science. Does it mean that she has to compete with students from triple science in JC (If she opts for science stream in JC)?

Can also enlighten me what is the good thing about going to science stream? If DD opts for commerce in JC, does she need to be in science stream in sec to get in? everyone wants to get to science, i just wonder whether students know what they are looking for.

:scratchhead:

concernmother
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Triple Science and Double Science

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am

Hi concernmother, there are various combinations of subjects for science students to take at JC level. It could be the Triple Sciences + Maths, but it could also be Phy Chem Econs + Maths or Chem Bio Econs + Maths.

As of the good thing about Science stream vs. Arts stream, it's depends on the interest and aptitude of your DD. If Literature, History and Geography are really not for her, then she has to compete for a place in the Science stream.

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby concernmother » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:21 am

AceTutors123 wrote:Hi concernmother, there are various combinations of subjects for science students to take at JC level. It could be the Triple Sciences + Maths, but it could also be Phy Chem Econs + Maths or Chem Bio Econs + Maths.

As of the good thing about Science stream vs. Arts stream, it's depends on the interest and aptitude of your DD. If Literature, History and Geography are really not for her, then she has to compete for a place in the Science stream.

Thanks. So i guess i have to wait for her SA2 results. :scared:

concernmother
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 am

concernmother wrote:Thanks. So i guess i have to wait for her SA2 results. :scared:

Haha no need to be so :scared:. Cheer for your DD :rahrah:

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:37 am

concernmother wrote:Hi,
Can someone enlighten me? My DD is Sec 2 this year. Take for example she gets in double science. Does it mean that she has to compete with students from triple science in JC (If she opts for science stream in JC)?

Can also enlighten me what is the good thing about going to science stream? If DD opts for commerce in JC, does she need to be in science stream in sec to get in? everyone wants to get to science, i just wonder whether students know what they are looking for.

Are you concerned that your daughter will be forced to go into science stream if she takes sciences in Sec 3? I doubt it. As far as I know, a student can get into commerce and arts with any subject combination in sec school, as long as the grades are good enough. If you are asking for the prerequisites for science 'A' level subjects, I think you can look at websites of some JCs which may have the info.

As for 'everyone wants to get to science', if that is still true, I find it rather sad. I was one of the first batches of the fore-runner of the Humanities Programme, and that was over 30 years ago! I was told that 'only stupid people do arts' but opted to drop sciences anyway. I would have hoped things would have changed in 30 yrs!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Most JCs do not offer triple science. Students in the science stream do 2 science subjects + math + one contrasting subject (lit/history/geog/econs etc).

So your child doesn't lose out in doing double science in upper sec. The one advantage students doing trip sci in upper sec have is they can choose to do any 2 sci subjects in JC whereas a double sci student can only offer the two that he has done in upper sec.

You can move into commerce regardless of the stream you were in in upper sec.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SunBrazen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am

Go for Double Science, Double humanities. Its the most balanced stream, and will benefit in the L1R5 score

SunBrazen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm

There is no commerce stream in JC. Only Millennia Institute offers Business stream.

Only good thing in going to Science stream is to prepare the students to do engineering in University or Polytechnic. If your child is not good in Science, why force him/her to do Pure Science. A combined Science can also allow your child to go into JC. Only problem he/she can only do one H2 science in JC (some JCs may allow 2 H2 science for combined science students) .

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby concernmother » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess time has changed. We used to have commerce in my JC time. :shrug:

concernmother
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby germalux » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm

what is commerence??

germalux
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support