Sec3 Subject Combination

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sec3 Subject Combination

Postby OngMum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear if anyone has more insights or information on GCE O Level in Physical Education? Or your kid is taking this up as one of his/her Sec 3 subject combination.

I was told it was introduced back in 2008 and I could not locate any information in MOE link. It is not introduced to all sec schools so far.

Thank you. Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Sec3 Subject Combination

Postby mdmlow » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm

never heard of Physical Education as O level subject...

mdmlow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Sec3 Subject Combination

Postby Dominiqueryrie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

O level PE is a newly introduced subject in 2008, and is offered in only a handful of schools, which is now growing in number year by year. The subject consists of 60% theory and 40% practical. Under the theory section, students learn around 20 topics across 2 years pertaining to sports science and other sports related topics; they sit for a 2 hr theory paper during their o levels. Under the practical section, students select 4 different types of sports based on their expertise and interests. Sometimes, they may have a wide choice of sports to choose from if the school they are in are offering them. In other schools, the sports offered may be limited and students dont get a choice in choosing the types of sports they will take on. Then, once the sports are chosen, students will practice the sport and be videotaped doing specific movements or exercises to be sent to cambridge examiners to determine how proficient you are in playing those sports. Also, in each sport, students must watch a video of someone playing the sport (teammate or him/herself) and write an analysis and improvement essay based on it. Sports offered range from track and field and cross country, gymnastics and dance to basketball, volleyball, netball and badminton, to name a few. So, physical education does require some skill in playing a wide range of sports as well as academic skills for the theory part which I would describe as similar in content and style to that of Biology. Yupp! I'm speaking as one of the students from the early batches who have taken this subject. And proud to say, nailed an A1:)

Dominiqueryrie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support