Which subject combination?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Which subject combination?

Postby jacktutor » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

As parents, how do you decide on the course of study and subject combination for your child? Or do you simply let them decide for themselves?

jacktutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Which subject combination?

Postby myWQ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:23 pm

jacktutor wrote:As parents, how do you decide on the course of study and subject combination for your child? Or do you simply let them decide for themselves?

I would say discuss with your child on his inclinations and interest but let him have the final decision. I've gone through this process the hard way where my parents decided that I take the 3 pure sciences and double maths combi based on my lower sec scores and it nearly killed me as I hated maths and physics.

myWQ
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby plc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 am

Agree, discuss with your child. But, with your input example, if no physics, can't do some engineering degree. My girl wanted to do Combined Science, our question was, "what do you want to do?"..as doing Combined Science will restrict the university options.

A friend's child went to English class,..reason being, best friend was going there, ended up doing 9 subjects, though was selected for Science class. In the end, at O levels, didn't want to go for Lit & Bio exams, so that can focus on other subjects?

All the best in the decision!

plc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jacktutor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm

plc wrote:Agree, discuss with your child. But, with your input example, if no physics, can't do some engineering degree. My girl wanted to do Combined Science, our question was, "what do you want to do?"..as doing Combined Science will restrict the university options.

Hi plc,
how exactly does doing combined science restrict university options? what did your girl finally choose?

jacktutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bzb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Do science is better that lit. It expands the way one person view things. Good for child's future development. But tough to read.

bzb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jacktutor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 pm

bzb wrote:Do science is better that lit. It expands the way one person view things. Good for child's future development. But tough to read.

The best is do both. Science + Lit = Scientific Literature :)

jacktutor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby plc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 pm

hi Jacktutor,
My girl did triple science.

If the child knows what poly diploma or uni degree that s/he is keen at, then they can choose the subject combination based on what they want to do.

After O levels, the poly selection of choices is based on subjects studied, especially for Science diploma.

plc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bzb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:39 am

"I would say discuss with your child on his inclinations and interest but let him have the final decision."
Totally agreed!! mywk

bzb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support