ACS (I)- Is it a rich man's school?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

ACS (I)- Is it a rich man's school?

Postby Worried parent 888 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi all,

My son qualifies for ACS (I) but we are not from a well-to-do background. We can afford the fees but my son is concerned that he subject to peer pressure from the rich kids and feel inferior..

Can anyone shed some light if you have experience?

I understand that the school fees will increase 2013.. Are there any other hidden extras.. like compulsory boarding, donations, etc. etc?

Thanks

Very worried :gloomy: :lightrod: :udaman: :udawoman:

Worried parent 888
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: ACS (I)- Is it a rich man's school?

Postby Bonnie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Yes, I have a lot of friends whose children went to ACS . Heard they are very laid back cos parents are rich

Bonnie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bonnie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 pm

If your son's results are good enough to do "Independent", I suggest u consider other choices, esp if the distance is far. And he may feel out of place among the rich kids

Bonnie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Koh-i-Noor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Worried parent 888 wrote:Hi all,

My son qualifies for ACS (I) but we are not from a well-to-do background. We can afford the fees but my son is concerned that he subject to peer pressure from the rich kids and feel inferior..

I understand that the school fees will increase 2013.. Are there any other hidden extras.. like compulsory boarding, donations, etc. etc?

Thanks

Hi, Worried parent 888.

I would think it's only fair that you wait til you hear posts/comments from fellow ACSI's alumni or present students.

Lots of hearsay are unfounded, some members here may not even be a parent or student, let alone a qualified person to give advice to such an important decision on your child's educational milestone matter.

You may visit another thread "ACSI IP" under School and Network, you may find your answer there.

Best wishes. :celebrate:

Koh-i-Noor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gleemom » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:29 pm

DS joined ACSI pre-IB from a neighborhood school via DSA. Initially we did have our reservations similar to some of the sentiments shared in this forum. In sec 1, about half his class were from non affiliated schools. We saw some big cars, some small cars and even one lorry dropping off their kids. Being the only one from his primary school who joined the program, he took about 3-6 months to get to know new friends and settle into the new environment.

After 4 years, my feedback is this
- the frequent fundraising is not true - I only donated once or twice, and very willingly for the pocket funds. Other times, it's buying things from fun fairs, which I believe also happen in other schools.
- most of DS' friends are not the very rich sort. Some are well off, but honestly there are also similar rich types in other brand name schools. ACSI is not an exception, but unfortunately carries the long held misconception. I can only say that only those who are in the school will know the truth.
- most importantly, I see DS enjoying program and school environment. He has embraced the school for what it is.

My feedback is, choose the school if you believe in the IB curriculum. The broad based curriculum and breath of scope is comprehensive and enriching. The school also has a good O level track, which allows boys who excel to move to the IB track at end of sec 2, and if not, they are also prepared for O levels, which is also a good alternative.

gleemom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Worried parent 888 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks

One of my hubby's friends is an old boy of ACS but he did not send his son to ACS. According to him, indeed most of the kids are from well to do families. Why don't you consider sending your boy to other good boys' schools such as Victoria, Maris Stella or Catholic High.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi,
I had that question too before I finally decided to go ahead & chose ACSI. I can't quite find my post & replies to it, but I remembered there were 2 responses who assured me that it's quite ok. Both who replied were like us, normal families staying in HDBs. Their sons are happy in the school & din face much problems with their classmates.

I believe there are nice & nasty people everywhere. We told ourselves that DS has to learn to deal with different people sooner or later. Hopefully will build up his character & resilience.

Well, our DS may become classmates if your DS decides to go for it.
Cheers :smile:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Worried parent 888 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi all

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. Really appreciate the time taken to respond to me as it helped to clear the concerns tha we had on ACS (I) . Could you please kindly share your views on Victoria School as well. Both ACSI and VS have the same cut off point. The fees for ACSI is more than ten times the fees of VS. is this money well spent?

Thanks very much and looking forward to your replies

Very worried.. :? :? :?: :imdrowning:

Worried parent 888
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BeContented » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Worried parent 888 wrote:Hi all

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. Really appreciate the time taken to respond to me as it helped to clear the concerns tha we had on ACS (I) . Could you please kindly share your views on Victoria School as well. Both ACSI and VS have the same cut off point. The fees for ACSI is more than ten times the fees of VS. is this money well spent?

Thanks very much and looking forward to your replies

Very worried.. :? :? :?: :imdrowning:

Hi, you might want to go relevant threads to find out. Or change your title cos' you may not get the response since it only state ACSI.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby twilight » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Just want to say that in my year, there are a lot of kids from rich families there. I think only 2 person in my class stay in HDB. Many stay in landed or condo. On school days it's fine, since we just eat in the canteen, but when I go out with my friends, the bill for food can be up to $20 per person, plus cinema and starbucks, one outing can be around $50. I don't go out that often, only during the holidays and after exams, so it's not too bad. I'm not very rich, bags no brand, wallet no brand, no smart phone. Many of them have branded this and branded that, but they don't ostracise me, so at least for the people I have met, they are ok.

There's no solicitation for donations, only through selling festival of arts tickets and charity cafe, but those are all voluntary.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support