Subject Combination woes

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Subject Combination woes

Postby Lexi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi, so I'm currently in sec2, going to sec3 next year, but I'm a little um ambivalent towards the subject combination I got:

English
Chinese
E.Math
Pure Biology
Pure Chemistry
Full Geography
Elect.Lit+Social Studies

I think it's actually quite a good combination but because the standard of my math this year was very poor, I didn't get A.Math. I've also tried to appeal but it wasn't successful :/ I want to know what my chances will be for getting into ACJC because I don't have A.Math. I've asked my friends and all of them have told me that it'll be easier to get in with A.math so I'm a little worried... Also, my tuition teacher keeps talking about how I'll be at the short end without A.math and it's getting me quiet restless about the whole thing..
Also, I Know that I'm just sec2 going on to 3 so i still have some time, and i also know that there are other good JCs other than ACJC but as of right now, it's the JC I want to go to so I'd like to know my chances of acceptance with these 7 subjects.

Lexi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Subject Combination woes

Postby Skyed » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:50 pm

No Amath difficult to do H2 math in JC, though some jcs offer a bridging course. Not sure about acjc. I can warn you in advance that pure geog + pure bio are super content heavy but both are easy a1s as long as you mug. I take 9 subs (same as yours except with pure phy, Amath, pure lit and elect geog instead).

But yeah Amath is really very impt. Most of the a1s for emath are gotten by those who also do Amath, esp because we can use Amath to check some of our answers for emath (eg. Differentiation to check if the gradient of the tangent drawn is accurate). Is there really no way for you to appeal again for Amath? Amath is easier to get a1 than emath at os because Amath you keep drilling questions easily a1, whereas emath tests more on accuracy and how meticulous you are (that's why the a1 for emath at os is always >90).

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Skyed » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Oh also, without Amath, you have potentially closed the door upon yourself in SOME jcs for science stream. If you are planning to go arts stream in jc then Amath isn't much of an issue as you can take it at H1 which doesn't require Amath as a prerequisite.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kiasustudent1997 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm

full geog very stress i sec 3 this year already dying. plate tects is crazy

kiasustudent1997
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby meinteel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Lexi wrote:Hi, so I'm currently in sec2, going to sec3 next year, but I'm a little um ambivalent towards the subject combination I got:

English
Chinese
E.Math
Pure Biology
Pure Chemistry
Full Geography
Elect.Lit+Social Studies

I think it's actually quite a good combination but because the standard of my math this year was very poor, I didn't get A.Math. I've also tried to appeal but it wasn't successful :/ I want to know what my chances will be for getting into ACJC because I don't have A.Math. I've asked my friends and all of them have told me that it'll be easier to get in with A.math so I'm a little worried... Also, my tuition teacher keeps talking about how I'll be at the short end without A.math and it's getting me quiet restless about the whole thing..
Also, I Know that I'm just sec2 going on to 3 so i still have some time, and i also know that there are other good JCs other than ACJC but as of right now, it's the JC I want to go to so I'd like to know my chances of acceptance with these 7 subjects.

JC admission criteria is based on L1R5. First language - English + 5 relevant subject - 1 maths/science, 1 humanities, 1 maths/science/humanities & 2 other subjects.

Without A maths, you will still qualify for all the JCs (arts/science). However, without A maths, you will find it harder to study H2 Mathematics in JC. H2 mathematics however is a requirement for science/mathematic courses in university.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby koguma » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:49 am

Lexi wrote:Hi, so I'm currently in sec2, going to sec3 next year, but I'm a little um ambivalent towards the subject combination I got:

English
Chinese
E.Math
Pure Biology
Pure Chemistry
Full Geography
Elect.Lit+Social Studies

Have you asked yourself what you plan to study in JC? As pointed out by someone, you can go to Arts stream without AMaths. Some JCs also allow you to go Sci stream and takes up H2 Maths without AMaths (not sure whether ACJC allows it), but doing H2 Maths without AMaths will be tough, considering you are poor in your EMaths!

If you seriously want to do AMaths, then you should talk to your Principal or teacher (eg. HOD Maths). Ask them whether you can study AMaths on your own (private tution) and sit for school exam (CA and SA1). If you can prove yourself able to cope with BOTH Maths, then ask whether the school can let you continue taking up the subject formally. I think such arrangement may work.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zeth96 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Have you asked yourself what you plan to study in JC? As pointed out by someone, you can go to Arts stream without AMaths. Some JCs also allow you to go Sci stream and takes up H2 Maths without AMaths (not sure whether ACJC allows it), but doing H2 Maths without AMaths will be tough, considering you are poor in your EMaths!

I think listing out the "some" would be helpful for the TS to get a better view of his options

Zeth96
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby koguma » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Zeth96 wrote:I think listing out the "some" would be helpful for the TS to get a better view of his options

HHaa.. i am lazy to check thru every JCs website for their subject combination. Below are some I managed to find. The best is for you to check with the JC directly.

For JJC, some Science classes allows you to do H2 Maths with A1 or A2 in EMaths (don't need AMaths). But some science classes need a pass in Both Maths.
http://www.jurongjc.moe.edu.sg/sites/ju ... 202013.pdf

For AJC, their criteria is more stringent. To do H2 Mathematics, students must have offered Additional Mathematics and preferably have obtained C6 or better in Additional Mathematics at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination.
http://www.ajc.edu.sg/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=79

For VJC, 'O' level Mathematics for H1 Mathematics; 'O' level Additional Mathematics for H2 Mathematics
http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/website/a-lev ... culum.html

Cheers.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lmagel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 am

kiasustudent1997 wrote:full geog very stress i sec 3 this year already dying. plate tects is crazy

plate tects is incontrovertibly the easiest physical geog topic.

lmagel
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kfc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi, in serious dilemma:

To do geo or history
To do phy or bio

dear seniors, which one easier to score for 'O' level ? I heard that history very very hard to study.

headache.

kfc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support