Weaning my son off computers and iPad Apps

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Weaning my son off computers and iPad Apps

Postby Truth Hurts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Parents

Any idea how I can wean my boy off the App Games on iPad this holidays?
When I restrict his playing hours, he throws tantrums. I would like him to read more books and start preparing for Sec 1.

Can anyone share success stories please?

Thanks

Truth Hurts
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Weaning my son off computers and iPad Apps

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am

Did you impose stricter controls during the school term? If so, then you can gradually revert to that regime. If his tantrum-throwing is severe, then maybe you will need to make him go 'cold turkey' for a while before letting him have limited access again. My girls are in sec school now, and I usually relax restrictions on computer etc time during vacations, but they know that this relaxation is only for the vacation. Even so, they need to seek permission before playing, and I still impose a limit of 40 mins at a time, twice a day at most. I grant extra time for 'sensible' computer use such as writing and other creative purposes. I also impose a reading time of a minimum of 20 mins in Chinese and 30-40 mins in English every day. They usually exceed the English target (but not the Chinese!). I don't make them prepare ahead for school. I don't really have problems with monitoring them as they don't need policing these days; they grew up with restrictions and they are will mainly self-police, so I just need to remind them now and again. I haven't had tantrums from them for years because they know that tantrums don't work on me, and they risk a complete computer ban if they try it on.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am

Maybe you can tell him that he can use iPad after he finishes his reading? But everyday you must set reading target for him...

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Truth Hurts wrote:Hi Parents

Any idea how I can wean my boy off the App Games on iPad this holidays?
When I restrict his playing hours, he throws tantrums. I would like him to read more books and start preparing for Sec 1.

Can anyone share success stories please?

Thanks

Bring the iPad to work. Set a password on your internet Wifi and don't tell him. That should take care of it. Just ignore the tantrums imo. He'll stop with them when he realises they don't work anymore.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MoonFlower » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 am

I was so fed up with my boy playing his xbox non stop and having his friend coming over and jeopardise our scehdule, I unplugged and kept his xbox. I dont care if he throws tantrums and I send him to do outdoor activites instead. He was upset with me thinking that I will bring out for him and his friend to play this evening.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Truth Hurts » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I have done drastic things to my son as well to stop them from playing apps the whole day. But some how or other, I am just not firm enough. My will power melts once he gives me his pitiful look ; (

Truth Hurts
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kwcllf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

As mentioned, uninstall all his game apps. Remove your wifi or restrict internet usage, if not completely bar usage.

He may throw tantrums but better start to regain control ASAP. As the saying goes "better be late than never".

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kiasu--carer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I had same problem with my son. My husband put timer restriction on Wifi and pattern lock on Ipad.

After a while, son knows cannot use either until finish homework.

Works for us.

kiasu--carer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kwcllf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:16 pm

kiasu--carer wrote:I had same problem with my son. My husband put timer restriction on Wifi and pattern lock on Ipad.

After a while, son knows cannot use either until finish homework.

Works for us.

A note of caution. Even if the kids finished all their homework, still must limit their use. If not, they would try to rush to complete homework and play computer games. Although they may have completed their homework, their minds are never far away from wanting to play computer games.

I learned this from personal experience. Must really CONTROL usage before it gets out of hands.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kiasu--carer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

kwcllf wrote:I learned this from personal experience. Must really CONTROL usage before it gets out of hands.

Yes, timer is set to block internet on weekdays until 9pm. Son sleeps at 9pm so we can use internet at night.

Ipad Pattern lock times out after 5mins.

Password protected to log into computer.

Usage is controlled automatically at many levels.

kiasu--carer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support