O levels - doing TYS, is it important?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

O levels - doing TYS, is it important?

Postby James Ang » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, if you are the master of the TYS solutions.

There are many wrong answers in some TYS, if the student learn blindly from the wrong answers without guidance then it will be dangerous and may cost them their distinctions. In reality it takes only 5.01 marks to lose the distinctions, from A1 (75) to B3 (69.99). :roll:

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum2gabnmimi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Doing TYS is important to know the question type.

However, the syllabus changes rather quickly, so need to make sure that the qns drilled is still relevant.

mum2gabnmimi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 pm

mum2gabnmimi wrote:Doing TYS is important to know the question type.

However, the syllabus changes rather quickly, so need to make sure that the qns drilled is still relevant.

This is very true, especially for Humanities qns.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: O levels - doing TYS, is it important?

Postby ApronMama » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm

James Ang wrote:Yes, if you are the master of the TYS solutions.

There are many wrong answers in some TYS, if the student learn blindly from the wrong answers without guidance then it will be dangerous and may cost them their distinctions. In reality it takes only 5.01 marks to lose the distinctions, from A1 (75) to B3 (69.99). :roll:

May I know what TYS is?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 pm

Ten years series. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alwaysLovely » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am

I can't agree more with mum2gabnmimi.
I have in fact written a post on 'Should I be working on Ten Years Series or school prelims questions? ' (Plus: Topics which are missing from TYS due to syllabus change for Math)

Read here for more: http://www.singaporeolevelmaths.com/200 ... ms-papers/

alwaysLovely
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby James Ang » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:05 am

alwaysLovely wrote:

I can't agree more with mum2gabnmimi.
I have in fact written a post on 'Should I be working on Ten Years Series or school prelims questions? ' (Plus: Topics which are missing from TYS due to syllabus change for Math)

Read here for more: http://www.singaporeolevelmaths.com/200 ... ms-papers/

This year's O levels is worth doing all the TYS because the questions are rather predictable, and they even have similar past question in E Maths. My students told me the TYS has that same question on mensuration. My students doing TYS several times over, it is worth it. :D

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Our Advice On Doing TYS

Postby Bentan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:32 am

Our tutors at http://singapore.math-chinese-tutor.com always encourage all our students to do TYS during Sec-3 Year-End Holiday. We also encourage them to doing it in groups. We believe that by doing TYS in Sec-3, the student is assured of at least a B3 for his O-Level.

TYS is important as there is no more repeat teaching going from Sec-3 and Sec-4. Sec 3 and 4 syllabus are continuous and so it is important to clear all Sec-3 concepts before moving into Sec-4.

More importantly, by the time the student is in Sec-4, he will have very little time of his own to practice on topics that he is weak at.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby luckystar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:04 pm

How abouy doing TYS for A level ? Is it worth of doing it for few times or just one ?

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support