VERY FORGETFUL TEENS OR PR-TEENS

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

VERY FORGETFUL TEENS OR PR-TEENS

Postby daisyt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:06 pm

I not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Anyway if its not, Chief, please re-direct. Thanks

I want to find out from parents with teens and pre-teens, especially those in lower Secondary or maybe upper Secondary. My girl tends to be very forgetful ever since she step in Sec 1 life. In fact, she is telling me, not only her, quite a number of her classmates are like that too. Forgetful not in terms of school work, but things like

1) Want to tell me something, open her mouth, and then she forget what she wants to say.
2) In a conversation, if you happen to stop and change topic, she would forget where she stop and what to continue
3) Forget what she has eaten the previous day
4) Want to post something in her blog about the day's event, something interesting that has happen, but then forget what is it. I even have seen her classmate wrote in the blog "I am logging in, want to post something, but I forget what I want to post !"

Is this common or there is some sort of illness ? She herself is also wondering what happen to her as she was never like that when in primary school or during PSLE time. :?

:?:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 pm

These are all happening to my dd and she's in P6...! I thought it was P6 stress..Perhaps it is due to stress. For your dd, it is due to the stress of coping with the demanding changes of Sec 1...? I dunno..

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

puberty

Postby Skippy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 pm

daisyt
Your DD sounds like me right now! LOL

Talk to her about it and ask her how she feels about school and what's happening in her life. Usually when we are juggling 5 balls at the same time, what we had for breakfast yesterday is not important.

Forgetfulness can occur during hormonal changes and is quite common. Try not to focus on. Suggest she carry a small note book to jot things down that are important for her to remember. It should pass as time goes by. If not, see a doctor. Note that she says her friends are going through the same thing? All of them perhaps the same age group ! So she's not the only one.
Skippy

Skippy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: puberty

Postby westmom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Skippy wrote:daisyt
Forgetfulness can occur during hormonal changes and is quite common. Skippy

Skippy - my dd is not undergoing any sort of hormonal changes. No sign yet at all. Could it be information overload in their brains? With academic emphasis in our sch system - i think their young brains just cannot cope!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:46 pm

hi skippy, you are in teenage too ?

Yes, she and in fact her classmates too, have a notebook to write down all the homework, things to remember, things to buy etc because all of them are as equally forgetful. hahah :D

I think its overload of information and matter need time to get use. Hopefully in year 2, they are more or less getting use and won't be so forgetful. She was telling me, she did not see this type of symptoms for her seniors (year 3 and above).

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:08 pm

It could be a case of them still adjusting & adapting to the new environment. Or it could be that they have so many things happening around them within a day, they hardly remember the 'unimportant' things. Sometimes, they also forget the 'important' things!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Very Forgetful Teens/ Pre Teens

Postby Skippy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Sorry Westmom
I thought your DD was teen or pre teens and hormonal changes can cause these, I was looking at the heading which said teens :)

Daisyt - no but raised a couple and have teens in the family, they are adorable, love this age of discovery and identify crisis - very amusing to see them develop so rapidly, taking on strong opinions of their own, calling their parents 'old' etc LOL.

I find teens both fascinating and interesting and always have time for a chat with them. Interesting how they give their parents one word answers but with an aunt, they spill the beans !

Skippy

Skippy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support