How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby mummy so kiasu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

My boy is happy with his new school & I am glad that he has adapted to the new environment. My hubby & I have selected the school for him & this is not one of his dream schools. Lesson will only resume next week. Hope he will cope well with the additional subjects. We have decided not to have tuition this year.
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby janet88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm

mummy so kiasu wrote:My boy is happy with his new school & I am glad that he has adapted to the new environment. My hubby & I have selected the school for him & this is not one of his dream school. Lesson will only resume next week. Hope he will cope well with the additional subjects. We have decided not to have tuition this year.


My son is not adjusted to the increase in subjects...it is not his one of his dream schools but it is near home and he gets to reach home fast. Lessons have slowly started. He is ok with Chinese.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33758
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby mummy so kiasu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
mummy so kiasu wrote:My boy is happy with his new school & I am glad that he has adapted to the new environment. My hubby & I have selected the school for him & this is not one of his dream school. Lesson will only resume next week. Hope he will cope well with the additional subjects. We have decided not to have tuition this year.


My son is not adjusted to the increase in subjects...it is not his one of his dream schools but it is near home and he gets to reach home fast. Lessons have slowly started. He is ok with Chinese.


I think it is OK. Life is not always prefect. We don't always get what we want. The good thing is that he can save a lot of travelling time. Most important now is to help him to adjust to the new environment & additional responsibilities. Of course, slowly they have to learn to be more responsible & independent. Chinese is my boy worse subject & I am worry how is he going to cope with higher Chinese. Due to the longer school hour, we want to see whether he could manage without tuition.
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby english_lavender » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi there? I am new to this account. Still struggling my way through. I juz want share ideas and information on education. My boy is Primary 3 in St stephen and my girl is in Sec 1 at RGS. Happy networking!!!

english_lavender
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby mummy so kiasu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

english_lavender wrote:Hi there? I am new to this account. Still struggling my way through. I juz want share ideas and information on education. My boy is Primary 3 in St stephen and my girl is in Sec 1 at RGS. Happy networking!!!


Welcome to Kiasuparents! Janet's kids are also in P3 & Sec 1. My kids are in P2 & Sec 1.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am
Total Likes: 4



Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby janet88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

english_lavender wrote:Hi there? I am new to this account. Still struggling my way through. I juz want share ideas and information on education. My boy is Primary 3 in St stephen and my girl is in Sec 1 at RGS. Happy networking!!!


:welcome:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33758
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby BlurBerry » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi. Nice to know you all. I hv kids in P5, S1 & S3. Although I hv a S3 boy I still feel like a newbie when my girl enters S1 this year.

Lessons hv alrdy started this week and she's grumbling abt them. I guess she's having some adjustments issues or maybe still in holiday mood. She didn't do any studying during sch hols because I thought she deserved a good break after the grueling exam prep. So now the engine is stone cold and will prob take a while to warm up.

BlurBerry
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 am

BlurBerry wrote:Lessons hv alrdy started this week and she's grumbling abt them. I guess she's having some adjustments issues or maybe still in holiday mood. She didn't do any studying during sch hols because I thought she deserved a good break after the grueling exam prep. So now the engine is stone cold and will prob take a while to warm up.


I think son's engine is still in 'defrost' mode.
Lessons already started, his teachers, esp Math is like a fiery dragon according to son. He grumbled about lessons and fiery dragon. No honeymoon...fine with me, since it's S1 and not P1.
Geography, Science & Math are hubby's responsibilities :rahrah:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33758
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby SHAmum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi, thanks to all of you.

It's really nice feeling that I am not alone. I hv P3 girl and S1 boy. Lessons already started and some subject got test, but I think my son engine is not started yet... he said Math is easy, English lesson is fun, Geo lesson let him sleep as so bored ( teacher nag whole class), he got some fun with science lab. Never see him study or do homework at home more than 20min. I don't know whether he is ok without studying / revision ... or he is still thinking primary school learning style... teacher provide everything.....

SHAmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How is your Sec 1 child coping in his new school?

Postby catddy2002 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 am

Hi hi,

I also have a P3 girl and a S1 boy.
My DS has adapted to school life but like SHAmum son, never see him revise he's study or do homework more than 20 mins.
Kind of worry of him now.
He was addicted to computer game when he was P5, so we locked up the PCs and laptops at home with password.
Will let him play once a while.
Last night, caught him off guard playing computer game at 12 midnight. He has asked my hubby to unlock the pc as he needs to do online homework ealier on and leave the PC on without our knowledge. He played thinking we sound asleep.
We have explained to him many times the effect of computer games esp the violent one. Maybe someone here in the forum can tell me what to do with him.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 pm
Total Likes: 2


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support