Maths Olympiad for Sec 2?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Maths Olympiad for Sec 2?

Postby Hershey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Dear Parents, my DD is in Sec 2 and selected to attend Mathematics Olympiad Training. Can anyone please share whether it is necessary to attend Maths Olympiad and how it can help her in her Maths Subject?

Hershey
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Maths Olympiad for Sec 2?

Postby twilight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Just let her attend the training and see if it's her cup of tea. Math Olympiad is quite different from normal curriculum math, and not everyone likes it or has the aptitude for it.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasu_student » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Your DD is in which sch? Some schools do offer very good training but done are extra. You can learn other things learnt a year later. BTW, is she taking part in SMO? I will be taking without training.

kiasu_student
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu_student » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I am in Sec1. 手下留情:D

kiasu_student
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasu_student » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Can exchange tips as well.

kiasu_student
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Garfieldpal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Hershey wrote:Dear Parents, my DD is in Sec 2 and selected to attend Mathematics Olympiad Training. Can anyone please share whether it is necessary to attend Maths Olympiad and how it can help her in her Maths Subject?

Maths olympiad teaches competition maths which is very different from the school's maths curriculum. Since your DD is selected, she should have the potential to do well in it. This training prepares students for the Singapore Mathematical Olympiad (SMO) competition usually around June. I have taken this training and competition and I find it useful when solving more difficult maths question.

Garfieldpal
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support