secondary english tuition

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

which tuition centre to go for?

tuition centre that focuses on practising exam papers
11%
tuition centre that focuses on providing students with tools for them to be independent
89%

Total votes : 19

secondary english tuition

Postby kidsfirst » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi all,

My daughter is in Sec 2 and has gotten fairly poor grades for her English in school. Since most students in Singapore would go the "tuition way", i was wondering which tuition centres would be good for her.

Should i try a centre that feed students with endless practice exams questions? i.e. they will drill students with lots of past year exam papers questions..which i believe is what most students go through or at least what most parents make their kids go through.

Or should i look for a place that focuses on teaching students the specific tools to handle these questions? i.e. the student are supposed to be independent and able to learn things by themselves after going through the short courses..which i believe would be rare in singapore..since parents believe in practising past year exams papers.

kidsfirst
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 pm

hi kidsfirst, if really must choose, I would go for the latter option "Or should i look for a place that focuses on teaching students the specific tools to handle these questions? i.e. the student are supposed to be independent and able to learn things by themselves after going through the short courses..which i believe would be rare in singapore.."

However I personally feel that language is not build up or improve in short period. A lot of reading, look up dictionary, speaking and listening should be better than tuition. Best is to read up newspaper, readers digest and magazines like National Geo, Discovery etc ... Best way to listen is watch news from CNA, CNN and BBC.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum2gabnmimi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 pm

One way to help your child is to evaluate the cause of the weakness.

If she needs to work on basic grammar, then you might need a home tutor who can give her a tailored solution.

If she needs help in improving her writing/content, then she needs to read more. Books of different genres will vary her vocabulary and style.

If she is weak in comprehending, then she can get help from tuition centres that works on skills, that is vocabulary, inference and answer in your own words and etc...

mum2gabnmimi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm

I coach my sis who is taking her 'O' Levels this year.

Her basic grammar was not good as she did not have a strong foundation. I got some primary school basic grammar books for her to go through and re-learn the basics. It helped alot. She's more confident in writing and started to explore vocabulary on her own (with help from novels/guide books). I give her a list of phrases to learn every week and she'll note everything down in her notebook.

I don't make her do exam practise papers. We simply go through the basics and formats (for letter writing and compo). She gets enough practise from school homework, no point adding to her stress. I also like to use the mind-map method, so I teach her to structure her thoughts using mindmaps (quick mindmapping before the actual writing).

She has improved from C6 in S3 EOY to B3 based on her Prelims 1 (mid-year exam). & her other subjects (elect Lit & pure geog) also started to show improvements as she was able to write better answers which had more flow. Previously her answers were haphazard without any planning and was hard for anyone to understand with the numerous grammar mistakes too.

Different children respond differently to different approaches. What may be good for one may not be good for another. Talk to your girl and discuss this together. She's old enough to know her own learning style & preference. & since she's given a say in the centre/tutor chosen, she should be more interested in the lesson :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hopeful4future » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:58 am

haha seems like everyone voted for "tuition centre that focuses on providing students with tools for them to be independent"... i find it quite ironic how we always advocate "independent" thinking... instead of learning by pure memorise-and-recount and all.. truth is i feel that singaporeans are very grades-driven.. :P

i am a strong supporter of learning "how to think" rather than "what to think".. which is why i prefer teachers who teach kids not the "right" answers but the right METHOD of answering, or tackling questions.. (haha something my kids' tutor mentioned.. thought it make a lot of sense)

;) whether at secondary school level or primary school level.. i feel that if you don't train primary school kids to think for themselves, they really suffer at sec sch.. i saw this in many of my niece/nephews/friends kids.. thats why i make sure the tutor i engage really challenge my kids and encourages them to think, which i feel will giv them something valuble that money cant buy. so far i like the way they progress, i feel they are happy learner~ :lol:

~We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today.

hopeful4future
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby powergrape » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 pm

From my perspective, a good way to improve English is to practice in areas of writing and communicating. Writing of course is certainly more important. Try to let your child learn creative phrases in compositions in order to enhance his/her vocabulary. When that is accomplished, he/she should not have problems with the four components of English. The four components are Letter writing, composition, comprehension and summary. Whereas for oral, she will have to practice by getting some "O" level samples for oral.

powergrape
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi,

Some suggestions:

Vocab/Compo writing

Use a thematic approach to improve vocab. For example, get an ex bk, set aside say two pages for a theme, for example Disaster. Next, the child should record down unfamiliar words (eg victims, extricated, fatal etc..) that are related to the theme taken from his readings. Recent newspaper articles on the floodings and earthquake, magazines, novels etc.. will come in handy. Merely reading is not enough, there has to be some form of reinforcement.

Then, find and record down the meanings of the words, not forgetting to indicate whether its a noun, adj etc.. If possible, indicate if the word has a positive or negative connotation with a P or N. For example, 'chubby' has a positive connotation while 'fat' is a negative word.

After that, the child should attempt to construct a sentence with the word.

I like using this method because the words are learnt in context and thus, when a child is faced with a compo topic for example like 'An earthquake' in paper 1, part 1(free writing) or 'Report on a flooding' in part 2(situational), the child is able to use the vocab words in the right context.

Another suggestion is for the child to record down interesting phrases/sentences so that he can use/rephrase it in his writings. This can be done in the same book, perhaps starting from the centre page.

How do you decide on a theme? It can be based on a recent occurance, it can be generic (Crime) or specific (Robbery). The child can work on that theme for a week or 2 or simply just find 10/20 words on that theme and move on.

Hope this helps.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HoneyMong » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks Autumnbronze.

I will definitely try tis method. I will not send my son to Eng tuition if can help it...
Do you reckon tis method works for Chinese language too? My son has no passion for MT although he managed to score 70+ for his prelim P6, with tuition help.

Thanks.

HoneyMong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi HoneyMong,

Glad to be of help :smile:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support