SUBJECT OPTIONS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

SUBJECT OPTIONS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL

Postby phoenixical » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi. I have a girl currently studying in NYGH. She is in Sec 2 this year and she has to choose her subject options for Sec 3 next year.

I would like to know if taking the humanities programme in NYGH is very tough as I have heard of a lot of people failing History in the mentioned programme. Also, will it be more safer to take 3 sciences instead of 2 sciences?

phoenixical
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi phoenixical, thanks for starting this topic. I think in the IP schools, they have to start selecting subjects in year 2. I know usually the school would organise some talks for the parents about this topic. Nevertheless, I would also like to hear some other parents's advise on this. TIA. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm

3 sciences are not required for entry to JC. Not even to the U. That's what is officially said. But I believe if you've 2 candidates with same grades/profile etc, the one who did triple science may have an edge over the other.

The requirement now is that 1 subject must be a contrasting subject like ss/hist/geog/literature.

So, if yr child is a study machine, can efficiently manage his/her time and would like to learn more about the different sciences, why not? Otherwise, if the child is struggling to keep up wth the rest, then it's wiser to just do 2.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: SUBJECT OPTIONS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL

Postby xhxie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Not sure about Nanyang.
I just attended HCI Parent Meet Teacher session last week and got to know some special programme available since Sec 3:
1. CSE (Centre of Scholastic Excellence) SP.
a. BSP (Bicultural Study Programme) (30 pupils)
b. HP (Humanities Programme) (30 pupils)
c. Science and Math Talent Programme (60 pupils)

To eligible for CSE SP student's MSG must be <=1.5 (the lower the better and the lowest MSG is 1.0)
For year 2008, HP students average MSG was 1.2x so it is very competitive to get into this programme. If remain in this programme in JC, very high chance to get into Oxbridge (according to one HP student)

2. IP SP :

a. BSP (Bicultural Study Programme) (30 pupils)
b. HP (Humanities Programme) (30 pupils)
c. Science and Math Talent Programme (90 pupils)

To eligible for CSE SP student's MSG must be <=2.5

The CSE SP students are strongly encouraged to stay in Boarding School Programme for 1 year and monthly fee is $90 including two meals (breakfast and dinner).

As what I know, HCI HP is very demanding and competitive. Maybe NYGH is the same?

xhxie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: SUBJECT OPTIONS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL

Postby Ultra KS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

Currently these r what i gathered on NYGH sec 3:
1) 14 classes
2) 1 class on higher humanities
3) 1 class on higher maths and science
4) the rest - more on 3-sciences, fewer on 2-sciences
5) Chinese - many levels (level 1 is highest and within this level have 2 options)
6) they also have higher literature (English but not sure offered to which group of students)

Not sure if those "higher" options are tough?

Ultra KS
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CMF » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:23 pm

My dd also just had to select her subject combi. Our discussion on it was based on what subjects she liked and had an inclination towards and her career aspirations (or rather what she thought she didn't think she aspired to be).

She said she didn't enjoy Physics and History, altho she has done well in them so far. She enjoyed Biology, Chemistry, Geog and Literature, and wanted to continue pursuing those subjects.

We finally settled on going with the subjects that she enjoyed.

So I wld say in dd's case it was really going with where her interest was. Cos we put ourselves in her shoes, and couldn't imagine doing something well that we had little or no interest in, eg. in a job. So hopefully with interest makes it easier to do well in it too.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support