HCL in RGS - need to take "O" levels CL in Sec 3 ?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

HCL in RGS - need to take "O" levels CL in Sec 3 ?

Postby godiva » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:43 am

My daughter is in Sec 3 RGS taking HCL.

My son who is in HCI had to take "O" levels CL in sec 3 and subsequently "O levels HCL in Sec 4.

I thought it will be same for my Sec 3 daughter in RGS.

But she said everyone said she need not.

Does anyone know? Will appreciate enlightenment. :shrug:

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: HCL in RGS - need to take "O" levels CL in Sec 3 ?

Postby jtoh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 am

No need. Your dd need only take HCL O levels in Year 4. RI is the same as RGS.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby godiva » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 pm

so she doesn't take CL at O levels at all?

Not even in June when she is in Sec 4?

I tot those taking HCL will always take CL, just in case they don't do well for HCL.

Would it then be advisable to register as a private candidate to take CL?

I'm not really familiar with the system and would appreciate advice from those who are better apprised with the pros and cons. :?:

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 pm

The girls don't take O level CL at all; just HCL O levels in Year 4. I don't see the need to take O levels CL if you're in IP. It's not like you can take the grades of your O level CL into consideration in your A level certificate.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby godiva » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Unless I'm wrong, I believe you need a pass in CL at "O" levels otherwise you are required to take a Chinese holiday course when taking undergraduate course in NUS?

Of course if one passes HCL then one would have cleared that as well. But what if one does not...

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wiimum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:40 pm

godiva wrote:Unless I'm wrong, I believe you need a pass in CL at "O" levels otherwise you are required to take a Chinese holiday course when taking undergraduate course in NUS?

Of course if one passes HCL then one would have cleared that as well. But what if one does not...

If don't pass HCL in IP school in Yr 4, then have to take Chinese during the Yr 5 and Yr 6 I think. So most IP students would strive to get a pass at least. I don't see how these RGS girls can't do that, at least the vast majority would be able to make it, (maybe a lot would be scoring ddistinction in Chinese) :-)

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:56 pm

godiva wrote:Unless I'm wrong, I believe you need a pass in CL at "O" levels otherwise you are required to take a Chinese holiday course when taking undergraduate course in NUS?

You need a pass in HCL O levels or a pass in CL A levels for admission to NUS. So passing CL at O levels isn't enough. If you don't clear HCL at O levels, you're required to take Chinese at A levels. So taking CL at O levels is unnecessary if you're taking HCL.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support