Advice on dropping subject

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Advice on dropping subject

Postby SunBrazen » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm a Sec 4 student. I've been faring quite badly in Pure Physics and Pure Chemistry, scoring C6s for both subjects last year in EOY. Now, its almost Prelim 1 and i'm contemplating dropping to Science (Physics/Chemistry). Will I stand a better chance of achieving an A1 at O levels compared to Pure Science students? Furthermore, I've got no intention of going to the Science stream in JC, and only interested in the Arts stream.

Please advise. Thanks

SunBrazen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on dropping subject

Postby wiimum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 am

The best person to advise you should be your school teachers, in particular those who taught you Physics and Chem, because they know you and your strengths and how you have been doing. :-)

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Advice on dropping subject

Postby Mdm Koh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm

How confident are you in your arts subjects? You could drop one of the pure sciences if you're very sure that you can get A's in your other subjects.

I dropped pure Physics in Sec 4. I made the choice not only because I was not interested and doing badly in Physics, but also because I could not engage a tutor. For the 'O' levels, I studied for pure Chem, Maths and A. Maths on my own and did relatively well. :)

I don't think that the combined sciences are easier, as taking two different subjects usually means that you have more basic information to memorise.

Alternatively, have you considered engaging a tutor for Physics and Chem? Since you passed the subjects last year, perhaps all you need is extra guidance to improve your grades? I know people who successfully turned their grades around after a few months of tuition in Physics and Chem. It's worth a shot.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support