New O Level Format for 2013

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

New O Level Format for 2013

Postby senseimichael » Mon May 27, 2013 2:14 pm

I heard that there are changes to the format, like the Summary section being reduced to 80 words. What other changes are there?

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: New O Level Format for 2013

Postby bones » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi senseimichael! I'm assuming you're talking about the changes for the new O Level English syllabus. Here are the following changes:
There is now a listening comprehension component (paper 3) included and in paper 1, there is now an editing section and the essay portion now has mainly expository questions.
In paper 2, there are three different sections: section A which features a graphic stimulus, section B which is slightly more "literature-like" in my opinion, and section C which is the most similar to the previous English syllabus but with the reduced summary word limit, as you've mentioned earlier.
The oral exam has also changed. Students now have only two components: reading and spoken interaction. The main change in the oral exam is the spoken interaction section whereby students now discuss with the examiners on how they feel about the events portrayed in the picture, etc.
I hope this helped. :)

bones
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

1 people like this post

Postby senseimichael » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Wow, thank you, Bones! Now to start hunting for examples of this new format and how it looks like, to better coach my students!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Geraldinelim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:35 am

thanks for ur update :)
really helpful
Geraldinelim
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 am

bones wrote:Hi senseimichael! I'm assuming you're talking about the changes for the new O Level English syllabus. Here are the following changes:
There is now a listening comprehension component (paper 3) included and in paper 1, there is now an editing section and the essay portion now has mainly expository questions.
In paper 2, there are three different sections: section A which features a graphic stimulus, section B which is slightly more "literature-like" in my opinion, and section C which is the most similar to the previous English syllabus but with the reduced summary word limit, as you've mentioned earlier.
The oral exam has also changed. Students now have only two components: reading and spoken interaction. The main change in the oral exam is the spoken interaction section whereby students now discuss with the examiners on how they feel about the events portrayed in the picture, etc.
I hope this helped. :)

Thanks for sharing.Wonder you can recommend any good English assessment books and oral guide books? :thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby senseimichael » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:37 pm

My hunt for assessment books which feature the new format has seen mixed success. I saw samples of the new editing section, but no "full paper" of the new format. I wonder why no publisher has come out with these assessment books?

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

The publishers are not able to find the right authors? I've seen only one book for Paper 1 and another for Paper 2 by Kingsway... Perhaps experienced assessment book writers and ex-school teachers on KSP can send in their book proposals. We do need more of these books. :)

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby senseimichael » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Mdm Koh wrote:The publishers are not able to find the right authors? I've seen only one book for Paper 1 and another for Paper 2 by Kingsway... Perhaps experienced assessment book writers and ex-school teachers on KSP can send in their book proposals. We do need more of these books. :)

I second this! Haha!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 pm

You're welcome. :)
My school currently uses the Kingsway book which covers not just paper 2 but also paper 1 with editing. The only things that it doesn't cover are the listening comprehension and oral sections. Also, I recall my English teacher mentioning that the English HOD wanted the level to buy this book (https://www.popular.com.sg/images/produ ... /94410.jpg) but decided against it at the time due to the price. Perhaps you could start there?

bones
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby senseimichael » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 pm

bones wrote:You're welcome. :)
My school currently uses the Kingsway book which covers not just paper 2 but also paper 1 with editing. The only things that it doesn't cover are the listening comprehension and oral sections. Also, I recall my English teacher mentioning that the English HOD wanted the level to buy this book (https://www.popular.com.sg/images/produ ... /94410.jpg) but decided against it at the time due to the price. Perhaps you could start there?

Cool! I'd look for them!

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support