How to help the weak students ?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How to help the weak students ?

Postby just.learn.lah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

Hi

After seeing so many weak students and helping them to turn around to achieve a better grades, I thought I just shared a few of the my thoughts.
Welcome any comments but not flaming please.

No students want to fail or do badly.

Its just that somehow, somethings happened, and then it happened.
They feel just as bad as you , the parents.
So - instead of scolding them - help them

Failing is NOT a bad thing
It can be a wake up call - especially for those who are in the crucial years - ie GCE exams or PSLE years.
I have helped and turn many students around in their "last 4 months" of their "life" in Sec 4... I have seen enough that I can tell you - if they get the right SUPPORT from the parents and from the other important people around, they can do it..
This girl Jill - from YCK. Her AMATHS was 9/100 in Sec 3. Then her results improved by 100% in Sec 4 Jan.. (100% of 9 is 18 /100).
However, with the encouragement and proper guidance and her hard work, she got a good grade of B3 at her GCE "O" Level.

Summary for today:

Help them - they are also desperate as to what to do -but they do not have the "guts" to admit their problems.

Cheers!

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 85&t=56762

just.learn.lah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to help the weak students ?

Postby LarryG67 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Think what weak students need is just more guided practice until they can understand. Sometimes, maybe its better to be weak at the beginning also

I have seen some of my friend's children who did quite well in primary school but became complacent in secondary school and their grades start to drop. On the other hand I have seen some kids who didn't do to well in primary school but they were super motivated in secondary school and they did really well. SO its sometimes very hard to say which is better.

Speaking of weak, my son is taking O levels this year and Im looking for a good chinese tutor. Rate is not an issue. If anyone has a good tutor to recommend please let me know. Thanks in advance ya. I think for his Chinese, weak is quite an understatement.

LarryG67
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Ovencookies » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 am

Do your know how to improve a persons math? My son is having quite a lot of problems with e and a math :(

Ovencookies
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby just.learn.lah » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Ovencookies wrote:Do your know how to improve a persons math? My son is having quite a lot of problems with e and a math :(

There can be several factors causing the "problems"
Then again - what is the "depth" of the problems

Some students are better at maths than others.. even then - I have examples of kids that with proper coaching managed to do quite well at O-Levels,

I took Daniel Ng from Pierce Sec when he was Sec 2... and he has never pass his maths before. The problem is not just his maths skills, but also his motivation. I have to work very hard ON him (to correct his motivation) .. but still he can only pass class test and school test - not his school exams.
until.. in Sec 4 he pass his mid year maths exam - then at O Level, he gets an A2 !

just.learn.lah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Miss Denise » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Ovencookies wrote:Do your know how to improve a persons math? My son is having quite a lot of problems with e and a math :(

I guess your son needs someone to guide and push him to do more practices. Mathematics is a subject most are able to do well with adequate practices. All the best! Don't give up! :)

Miss Denise
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby just.learn.lah » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 pm

There were a number of weak students that became "stronger" with the Right kind of help.

Many have this notion that just by giving him tuition, he should improve and he must improve.

Besides the student - the tutor also plays a very important part.
If the tutor is experienced enough - even in a group settings - he will be able to help the student to improve.

We ourselves were student once before - and we have experienced the "clarity" of one teacher vs another - with the same subject content. Same applies to tutors too.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 7&start=70

just.learn.lah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby just.learn.lah » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:42 am

One step at a time - to help the weaker student.

I was talking to a dad about his son.
From Normal Academic stream - he is already much better than a lot of his NA classmates by the act of him coming for tuition. But his problem is that he does not redo his work when he is not in my class.

If he can spend just one hour more per day to redo the sums - or just study any topics - he will do well.

Just one more hour - to study or do some more problems

Cheers!
Mr Ng

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 7&start=70

just.learn.lah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby marktanhl » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 pm

My son just took his o levels last year, he was very stressed up as he wanted to do well enough to go JC. In sec 3, he was very weak at his sciences. He went for pure physics and pure chem class at this tuition centre called apt tuition lab somewhere along upper serangoon road. He started this tuition in the beginning of sec 4 and got A2 for physics and A1 for chem for his o levels. he likes the tuition there and i think it help him alot. Hope it helps

marktanhl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support