Secondary School Assessment Books

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Re: Secondary School Assessment Books

Post by zbear » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:13 pm

janet88 wrote:I think I have to make a trip to toa payoh central to check out stalls to buy past year exam papers.

Still get math assessment books for Math...especially topical ones.

Janet, you can go online to get the past year exam papers. I did that for my DS. The link is in the Past year Sec sch/O level/IP thread.

In addition, the school will print out for the students to practise but this will be nearer to O levels.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:38 am

zbear wrote:
janet88 wrote:I think I have to make a trip to toa payoh central to check out stalls to buy past year exam papers.

Still get math assessment books for Math...especially topical ones.
Janet, you can go online to get the past year exam papers. I did that for my DS. The link is in the Past year Sec sch/O level/IP thread.

In addition, the school will print out for the students to practise but this will be nearer to O levels.
Thanks zbear...he was the one who requested for topical titles to practise for tests. But I will check out past year online.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:48 am

janet88 wrote:Thanks zbear...he was the one who requested for topical titles to practise for tests. But I will check out past year online.

Oohh, in this case, you will need to buy the assessment books for topical titles.

How is he coping with Elect History?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:04 pm

zbear wrote:
janet88 wrote:Thanks zbear...he was the one who requested for topical titles to practise for tests. But I will check out past year online.
Oohh, in this case, you will need to buy the assessment books for topical titles.

How is he coping with Elect History?
He is doing fine with history...he likes the subject.
It's social studies which he is weaker in...I remember you once mentioned ss will be challenging.

With E math, he is willing to practise whenever he has time. So he has done quite a lot in textbook. Now waiting for accompanying shinglee workbook to be released end Feb.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:54 pm

janet88 wrote: He is doing fine with history...he likes the subject.
It's social studies which he is weaker in...I remember you once mentioned ss will be challenging.

Oh, ok. Since he is doing fine for History, it's half a battle won :smile:

Yes, my DS could never do well in Elect Hist since Sec 3 all the way up to Sec 4 Prelims. He gets the same kind of marks for both Hist n SS. After each exam n seeing his poor marks, I have to call his subject teachers for help.

His Prelim grades were pulled down by Elect History n I already gave up hope. I was told he doesn't have the correct writing techniques.

Luckily, DS didn't give up hope, he went for consultations, spotted the right topics n put in more efforts into the subject.

What made it worse was for O levels, he had 2 papers - History n Chemistry on the same day n SS n Biology on the same day. I had to give Brands Essence to last him through the whole day.

But thank God, he did pretty well - from C5 in Prelims to A1 for O levels. I was pleasantly surprised at his achievement because I find it difficult to believe it's possible for a grade to jump so many levels.

I believe your son can do the same. Just don't give up even at the 11th hour.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 pm

zbear wrote: His Prelim grades were pulled down by Elect History n I already gave up hope. I was told he doesn't have the correct writing techniques.

Luckily, DS didn't give up hope, he went for consultations, spotted the right topics n put in more efforts into the subject.

What made it worse was for O levels, he had 2 papers - History n Chemistry on the same day n SS n Biology on the same day. I had to give Brands Essence to last him through the whole day.

But thank God, he did pretty well - from C5 in Prelims to A1 for O levels. I was pleasantly surprised at his achievement because I find it difficult to believe it's possible for a grade to jump so many levels.

I believe your son can do the same. Just don't give up even at the 11th hour.
thanks for your encouragement.
your son's results are amazing...A1 :salute: but he really deserves a pat for the hard work put in.

SS and Biology on the same day for o levels :faint:
son's weak subjects are chemistry and social studies...but elective history is not fantastic. on my part, i can only remind him to ask his teachers if he needs help...which is something he will do.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 pm

janet88 wrote:
thanks for your encouragement.
your son's results are amazing...A1 :salute: but he really deserves a pat for the hard work put in.

SS and Biology on the same day for o levels :faint:
son's weak subjects are chemistry and social studies...but elective history is not fantastic. on my part, i can only remind him to ask his teachers if he needs help...which is something he will do.

Thanks Janet. I was surprised myself that towards nearing his O level exams, he finally took his studies seriously.

Yes, please consult the subject teachers whenever in doubt because they are the best people to clear doubts n provide tips for exams.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:22 pm

zbear wrote:
Thanks Janet. I was surprised myself that towards nearing his O level exams, he finally took his studies seriously.

Yes, please consult the subject teachers whenever in doubt because they are the best people to clear doubts n provide tips for exams.
at 16, i believe he knows what he wants and will work towards it...with all the hard work put in, he is well rewarded.

trusttuitionagy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by trusttuitionagy » Sat May 21, 2016 11:02 am

Hi Janet,

I will be able to get you free access to schools past year exam papers online free if you can get a tutor from us. PM me if you are interested.

sicayahhh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by sicayahhh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:52 am

Hi! I'm a sec 2 currently waiting for my streaming results for sec 3. I saw some parents asking questions about lower sec English and assessment books thing. Basically, for me I had to tackle my studies on my own. For lower sec English, here the things tested: Paper 1 will be editing and compo (1 situational and 1 free writing). Paper 2 is mainly 3 comprehensions (1 visual text, 1 narrative text and 1 non-narrative text). Paper 3 is listening compre and paper 4 is oral. For assessment books wise, it would be good to get editing and comprehension guides. of couse, there's some composition books which are quite good. But for myself, I only got comprehension guides because my teacher would print out editing exercises and some model compositions + how to write them for us. But I've got a qns, can anyone send their booklist here? I want to see the difference in books that different schools use. Maybe I can check those books out.