local or international?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

local or international?

Postby CentralControl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 pm

So whats the main difference? I mean, would send your child to ACS(independent) or ACS international? or Hwa Chong Institution or Hwa Chong international? or SJI or SJI international? I mean, only for secondary education, what are the main differences except for the co-ed and the price?

CentralControl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:23 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby mathsparks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Just to give you some idea. A friend I know sends his kid to HC International school as he was posted to a neighbourhood school. So, I gather that to enter HCInstitution, you need good grades while to get in the I'nal school, you need lots of dough.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Zann » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm

mathsparks wrote:Just to give you some idea. A friend I know sends his kid to HC International school as he was posted to a neighbourhood school. So, I gather that to enter HCInstitution, you need good grades while to get in the I'nal school, you need lots of dough.


Am I right that HCInternational offer cheaper rate to singapore citizen compared to the other international school?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby turquoise » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 pm

SJI International offers the International Baccalaureate, SJI doesn't.

ACS Indep takes in stronger students, especially those in their IB programme. Students at ACS International generally aren't as strong academically as ACS Indep students.

You have to have pretty deep pockets to go to the international schools. I think annual school fees are about $20K.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby JHFMum » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:03 pm

turquoise wrote:SJI International offers the International Baccalaureate, SJI doesn't.

ACS Indep takes in stronger students, especially those in their IB programme. Students at ACS International generally aren't as strong academically as ACS Indep students.

You have to have pretty deep pockets to go to the international schools. I think annual school fees are about $20K.


The International schs, I heard, are much more laxed in discipline, rigour as compared to the indept counterpart. Also, find out abt the quality of teachers- not all are trained teachers. I've known of parents who took the kids out after 2 yrs and need to look for a nhd sch to take their kids in.

JHFMum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby powergrape » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Hwa Chong Institution is better than its international school as most of the local students are studying there. It will be easier to get into a local university if you study in Hwa Chong Institution.

powergrape
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:58 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Zann » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:54 am

JHFMum wrote:
turquoise wrote:SJI International offers the International Baccalaureate, SJI doesn't.

ACS Indep takes in stronger students, especially those in their IB programme. Students at ACS International generally aren't as strong academically as ACS Indep students.

You have to have pretty deep pockets to go to the international schools. I think annual school fees are about $20K.


The International schs, I heard, are much more laxed in discipline, rigour as compared to the indept counterpart. Also, find out abt the quality of teachers- not all are trained teachers. I've known of parents who took the kids out after 2 yrs and need to look for a nhd sch to take their kids in.


When you said trained teachers, are you referring to MOE trained? I know not all NUSH teachers are MOE trained though. Some could be already teachers in their home country.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support