How are your Sec Ones coping in the Sec School?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How are your Sec Ones coping in the Sec School?

Postby sunkc2000 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Hihi

Anyone care to share how your Sec 1 DD and DS are coping in the Secondary Schools?
My DD has been very unhappy since beginning of the year. She has been asking to transfer to her Pri School's affiliated Sec school. Seems like she is not coping well socially in the new school and not motivated to study at all.

I told her to try out for a year in this Sec school. More than half a year has gone and things doesn't seem to have improved. Think she missed her old friends. I really hope that she can remain in this school, but am almost giving up after seeing her being so unhappy.

Wonder is this normal? Anyone care to share your experience with your DD or DS?

sunkc2000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How are your Sec Ones coping in the Sec School?

Postby jjxy mum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi parents,
Dc just got back his Sa2 result, all the subjects are ranging from 50-60 marks, I am very concerned and worried,. Anyone can share dc exam result, and what should be done? :(..hope to hear from seniors too.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 33mama » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 pm

jjxy mum wrote:Hi parents,
Dc just got back his Sa2 result, all the subjects are ranging from 50-60 marks, I am very concerned and worried,. Anyone can share dc exam result, and what should be done? :(..hope to hear from seniors too.

DS in sec 2 now... had the same problem when he was in sec 1... or worse.. failing a few subjects (the newer ones like History and D&T) :rant:
i was like :frustrated:
then i went thru his books and really find that it is not easy... understand him more and now in sec 2... he is getting better.. and of course my expectations lowered... he still enjoys studying though and is more self driven this year.

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:26 am

33mama wrote:

DS in sec 2 now... had the same problem when he was in sec 1... or worse.. failing a few subjects (the newer ones like History and D&T) :rant:
then i went thru his books and really find that it is not easy... understand him more and now in sec 2... he is getting better.. and of course my expectations lowered... he still enjoys studying though and is more self driven this year.

Then, did u send him for tuition?

Look at my ds marks( have not seen his paper), seem like I have 'study' his sec sch text, and see how much I can help him...

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am

jjxy mum wrote:
33mama wrote:

Then, did u send him for tuition?

Look at my ds marks( have not seen his paper), seem like I have 'study' his sec sch text, and see how much I can help him...

First, where does he stand in his class or standard? Is that roughly where you expect him to be? Marks in sec school may be much lower in absolute nos. than in Pr school. Also, the requirements may be different from Pr school, and students may not have fully adjusted yet. For subjects that are new, students may not have got used to what is required yet. As a first recourse, he should ask his teachers for specific advice as to what his weaknesses are and suggestions for improvement. Once you know the weaknesses, you can also tap on others here for specific suggestions, or get tuition if you think it necessary. At sec school, it's best to let the student take the lead to ask the questions and try to self-study, ask others for help etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 am

for Chinese, my son has been doing badly (he flunked his SA1)...and Art (D7). yest, he told me he got a D for Chinese SA2.
he is doing ok for the other subjects...it has been a very trying year getting him adjusted to 7 subjects. he would know his overall results for the year soon...next year will be tougher with streaming :frustrated:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

sunkc2000 wrote:Hihi

Anyone care to share how your Sec 1 DD and DS are coping in the Secondary Schools?
My DD has been very unhappy since beginning of the year. She has been asking to transfer to her Pri School's affiliated Sec school. Seems like she is not coping well socially in the new school and not motivated to study at all.

I told her to try out for a year in this Sec school. More than half a year has gone and things doesn't seem to have improved. Think she missed her old friends. I really hope that she can remain in this school, but am almost giving up after seeing her being so unhappy.

Wonder is this normal? Anyone care to share your experience with your DD or DS?

Is she an introvert who cannot makes friends easily?

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 am

Is the result from P6 to Sec 1 usually a plunge? Like from P4 to P5.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 pm

ngl2010 wrote:Is the result from P6 to Sec 1 usually a plunge? Like from P4 to P5.

Yes, its a huge jump from Pri to Sec school, also more subjects but don't worry, they will adjust once they settle into Sec School routine.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 pm

zbear wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:Is the result from P6 to Sec 1 usually a plunge? Like from P4 to P5.

Yes, its a huge jump from Pri to Sec school, also more subjects but don't worry, they will adjust once they settle into Sec School routine.

Thank you. I will prepare mentally so I won't be shocked or panicked when I see his grades plunged :sweat:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support