Quit N(T) stream and study for O levels???

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Quit N(T) stream and study for O levels???

Postby xiaostar » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:22 pm

From another forum -

For those studying in N(T), I strongly advise you to quit and study for 'o' levels. N levels is not recognized anywhere around the world. United Kingdom had scrapped CSE(equivalent to our n level) for more than 30 years, labeling it too stigmatizing; Australia foundation program/certificate IV don't consider N level(3 o levels are acceptable); Malaysia SPM is equivalent to O level, there is no N level equivalent. A partial 'o' levels cert is far more recognised than a full n level cert.

I was from N(T) stream too. During sec 3, I found out N level has no international equivalent. I told my teacher I wanted to take O level, but they condemned me, stating that I have no chance of passing. Subsequently, I quit sec 3 and took 'o' level exam as a private candidate a year later. I achieved 4As, 1B and 1C. I hope N(T) student understand that O levels isn't hard if you study. I used to fail N(T) level maths getting grades like 15/100. However, I got A1 for both e-maths and a-maths for o levels. You just have to study - I bought express stream textbook from sec 1 - 4 and read thr, do and re-do ALL assessment books available at popular bookstore, As will come automatically. Note: Chinese and English are harder to study; I get B and C respectively despite putting in the same effort as other subjects over the course of one year.

For those in N(T), just quit and study for o levels. Adults in prison studied o level in under one year, some of them achieved 5 A1s. The news link: http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+Ne ... 48914.html

Why can't you do so?

Any thoughts?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/other ... 90376.html

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Quit N(T) stream and study for O levels???

Postby matrix0405 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 am

This maybe a good idea for some. For others, getting the skill from NT-ITE pathway may be better. 4 "O" is less employable than an ITE cert. The pathway MOE shd re-look is NA. These weaker students shd not be asked to study 8 subjects, like in express. Instead they shd conc. on 4- 5 subj, enuff to meet the requirement for entry to poly. With lesser subj, they can be ready to take O-level in 4 yrs.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Quit N(T) stream and study for O levels???

Postby kiasubeng » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:08 am

matrix0405 wrote:This maybe a good idea for some. For others, getting the skill from NT-ITE pathway may be better. 4 "O" is less employable than an ITE cert. The pathway MOE shd re-look is NA. These weaker students shd not be asked to study 8 subjects, like in express. Instead they shd conc. on 4- 5 subj, enuff to meet the requirement for entry to poly. With lesser subj, they can be ready to take O-level in 4 yrs.

Believe it or not. I have a classmate who just concentrate on 5 'O' level subjects and gave up the rest. That was way back 20+ years back...

He aced both his Maths easily as he was strong in it. That leaves him with English, Science and one other subject.

That frees up a lot of time for him to focus on the weaker subjects within the choice of 5.

He did well enough and last I heard, became a journalist.

Technically, a student that is not gunning for a scholarship needs only either 5 or 6 subjects rather than 8 subjects to get into the Tertiary level.

Passing all 8 subjects is the KPI of the school and/or MOE.

They should theoretically be focusing on the best approach to get the best results that allow them to get into the course/school of choice.

kiasubeng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support