Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
sushigal
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by sushigal » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:50 am

Need help in POA?

You may PM me direct. Hubby is teaching POA subject.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:42

Post by MyPillow » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 am

sleepy wrote:
I had a somewhat similar dilemma recently - allowing child to follow interests when choosing a humanities subject or picking a subject that is easier to score. After consideration, I decided to let my child follow her interests.

No idea if that is wise of me. I don't have a crystal ball. Keeping my fingers crossed :xedfingers:
Wat is easier to score in humanities?
Combined ss/ geo OR combined ss/ history
Pure history , pure geo , Lit , computing ?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:27 am

MyPillow wrote:

I can only comment on SS/Geog or SS/Hist based on my DS's experience.

He told me it's easier to score SS/Geog n many in his school did very well compared to SS/Hist but if you don't have interest in the particular subject, then it's going to be tough to score.

DS preferred Hist to Geog n although it's tougher than Geog, he still tried his best.

So at the end of the day, i feel it's best to follow your interest in the subject rather than take the one which is easier to score.

Connecting the dots
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Connecting the dots » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:02 pm

MyPillow wrote:
sleepy wrote:
I had a somewhat similar dilemma recently - allowing child to follow interests when choosing a humanities subject or picking a subject that is easier to score. After consideration, I decided to let my child follow her interests.

No idea if that is wise of me. I don't have a crystal ball. Keeping my fingers crossed :xedfingers:

Following their interest will keep them going when the going gets tough. That was my advise to my kids when they consulted me regarding their subjects combi. My gal took pure geo & my son took ss/hist, eventually both of them scored well.

lastdaynight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by lastdaynight » Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 am

Hi , I am supposed to choose my streaming subjects this year , but my school does not provide the subjects i am intrested , and can score well in , what should i do? T^T

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by nansk » Mon May 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Connecting the dots wrote:
MyPillow wrote: Wat is easier to score in humanities?
..My gal took pure geo & my son took ss/hist....
I thought SS is compulsory. :scratchhead:
If your dd took pure Geog, did she also take combined SS/with another humanities subject?

apollonia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by apollonia » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

lastdaynight wrote:Hi , I am supposed to choose my streaming subjects this year , but my school does not provide the subjects i am intrested , and can score well in , what should i do? T^T
Hello, i am a student who graduated from jc last year, so my memory of sec 2 streaming is still fresh :)

A thing to always note when it comes to streaming/selecting your combination is to firstly, look at the subjects you're interested in, and secondly, look at the subjects that you are good at, and have the potential to score well in. (BUT interest may not always mean that you'll score well)

Judging from your dilemma, i'm curious to know which subjects you are keen in, and what do you intend to work as in the future. It may seem a long time away, but your choice of subjects now may determine what subjects you get to take at a tertiary level and even in uni. Are you more of a science student, or a humanities student? Do you want to working in the science or arts field in the future?

Also, as a student who has sat for the o-levels and done my fair share of worrying over the exams, I can pretty much assure you that as long as you put in consistent effort towards your studies in sec 3 and 4, leading up to Os, it is very much possible to do well in subjects that you thought you might not perform stellar in. :)

lastdaynight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by lastdaynight » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:14 pm

apollonia wrote:
lastdaynight wrote:Hi , I am supposed to choose my streaming subjects this year , but my school does not provide the subjects i am intrested , and can score well in , what should i do? T^T
Hello, i am a student who graduated from jc last year, so my memory of sec 2 streaming is still fresh :)

A thing to always note when it comes to streaming/selecting your combination is to firstly, look at the subjects you're interested in, and secondly, look at the subjects that you are good at, and have the potential to score well in. (BUT interest may not always mean that you'll score well)

Judging from your dilemma, i'm curious to know which subjects you are keen in, and what do you intend to work as in the future. It may seem a long time away, but your choice of subjects now may determine what subjects you get to take at a tertiary level and even in uni. Are you more of a science student, or a humanities student? Do you want to working in the science or arts field in the future?

Also, as a student who has sat for the o-levels and done my fair share of worrying over the exams, I can pretty much assure you that as long as you put in consistent effort towards your studies in sec 3 and 4, leading up to Os, it is very much possible to do well in subjects that you thought you might not perform stellar in. :)
Thanks For You Reply ! ^^

Looking Through My MYE Scores , My Best Subjects are Higher Mother Tougue ( A1 ) , Literature ( A1 ) , History ( A1 ) And Mathematics ( A2 ) , well my weaker ones are my English ( C5 ... ) , Science ( B3 ) .

I should think that I am more of an ' Arts ' / Humanities Student ? I prefer more of my language subjects and Humanities , but is really uncertain about the other subjects... Especially when i need to take A Maths As A compulsory subjects , along with Science...

I tend to hope that i can word towards the literature study of my language subjects or history... But work wise... Im Really Unsure what i can take.

:thankyou:

masteryourmath
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by masteryourmath » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 pm

lastdaynight wrote:
apollonia wrote:

Looking Through My MYE Scores , My Best Subjects are Higher Mother Tougue ( A1 ) , Literature ( A1 ) , History ( A1 ) And Mathematics ( A2 ) , well my weaker ones are my English ( C5 ... ) , Science ( B3 ) .

I should think that I am more of an ' Arts ' / Humanities Student ? I prefer more of my language subjects and Humanities , but is really uncertain about the other subjects... Especially when i need to take A Maths As A compulsory subjects , along with Science...

I tend to hope that i can word towards the literature study of my language subjects or history... But work wise... Im Really Unsure what i can take.

I actually adopt a different viewpoint than most people. Don't pigeonhole yourself into an arts/science person. I think more importantly you should learn how to study well. When you reach university level things are going to be pretty hard- talent can only get you so far.

apollonia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by apollonia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 pm

lastdaynight wrote:
apollonia wrote:

Hi! You do appear to be an arts student, and judging by your results, i don't think you'll have any problem at all performing well at Os! :)

Also, a B3 for science is pretty good, imo. It's not THE best, but i'll say it's above average. Like i said, most students, including myself, tend to perform better in the actual Os bc it's easier as compared to school papers. In my case, I was C, D, E chem student right up till prelims, but I managed to get a B for pure chemistry! And As for like 3-4 of my subjects!

You also seem to be doing well for maths at sec 2 level, so you needn't worry too much about that. A-maths is something most students tend to struggle with when they first learn it, but it's not something that is insurmountable or too challenging. With the help from your teachers and your already pretty good abilities in math i'm sure you'll be able to do well!