LEARNConcierge

Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby zbear » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm

bb_ mom wrote:
zbear wrote:It's very risky to take triple Science n 1 Humanities asL1R5 is heavily dependent on the one n only Humanities subject. If you don't do well in that subject,then yr L1R5 score will be pulled down.

Good strategy is to take double science n double humanities so the other humanities subject can be a back up.

And that's why DD opted for double science & double humanities. I told her triple science means only need to focus on the combined humanities. But she's not too keen on Physics anyway.

bb_mom, which humanities subjects is your DD taking?

History is more difficult to score for o levels.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ParkYuni » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:51 pm

zbear wrote:MMM, your DD can do pure Geog n elect lit becos one compulsory humanities is elective.

My DS did triple science but he struggled with elect history up to prelims. His only humanities subject pulled down his L1R5 score.

Now praying hard that he did better this time for his o levels humanities subject, otherwise he can't get into his dream JC.

:pray:

I am not sure if this is true but I always hear pupils complaining that they can't score well for school's combined humanities esp social studies but eventually they did get As in the O level's.
Hope the same applies to your DS and gets him into his dream JC.

As for core geog, my DS teacher said it's a very heavy subject involving a lot of memory work and it is not advisable to take with Biology. But if the pupil has very good memory, it should be alright.
And earlier on, someone posted that the revised pure geog has a 25% structured question on geographical investigation which is an application question so it may not be easier to score than pure history these days.
The revised Bio includes 'application' questions too so it's not merely memory work.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bb_ mom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:14 pm

zbear wrote:
bb_ mom wrote:
zbear wrote:It's very risky to take triple Science n 1 Humanities asL1R5 is heavily dependent on the one n only Humanities subject. If you don't do well in that subject,then yr L1R5 score will be pulled down.

Good strategy is to take double science n double humanities so the other humanities subject can be a back up.

And that's why DD opted for double science & double humanities. I told her triple science means only need to focus on the combined humanities. But she's not too keen on Physics anyway.

bb_mom, which humanities subjects is your DD taking?

History is more difficult to score for o levels.

She chose Pure Lit and combined History/SS. But I'm not sure if she'll get this. No news from her.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sparks » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:19 pm

We were mulling over double humanities or triple science+1 humanities too. In the end, ds chose triple science as he's more of a science student than humanities.

dd had her o's last year & managed to get A1 for her only humanities ss/lit (thank god!). All this while, her prelim results for ss/lit were very borderline. Her school is known to be strong in lit though & it helps that she's got interest in lit.

Anyone knows when will the streaming results will be released?

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby bb_ mom » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:23 pm

sparks wrote:We were mulling over double humanities or triple science+1 humanities too. In the end, ds chose triple science as he's more of a science student than humanities.

dd had her o's last year & managed to get A1 for her only humanities ss/lit (thank god!). All this while, her prelim results for ss/lit were very borderline. Her school is known to be strong in lit though & it helps that she's got interest in lit.

Anyone knows when will the streaming results will be released?

Depends on each school. My DD got hers yesterday.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

For combined humanities, it's easier to score for Elect Lit n Elect Geog vs Elect Hist.

So for parents who are thinking of Humanities combi, please do bear this in mind.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ParkYuni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:09 pm

zbear wrote:For combined humanities, it's easier to score for Elect Lit n Elect Geog vs Elect Hist.

So for parents who are thinking of Humanities combi, please do bear this in mind.

Many pupils who choose Pure Geog will prefer Elect Hist to Elect Lit as they say the answering skills & techniques for Hist and Social Studies are the same.
But for DD sch, Lit is a compulsory subject as the school is strong in Lit, hence I do not know if E lit is in fact easier to score than E Hist.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ParkYuni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:57 am

Can anyone confirm if L1R5 can be:
L1, 3 sciences, 1 math and 1 humanities please? Thanks.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:03 am

ParkYuni wrote:Can anyone confirm if L1R5 can be:
L1, 3 sciences, 1 math and 1 humanities please? Thanks.

L1R5 can have other combi apart from what you listed.

It can also be
1. L1, 2 Sciences, 2 Maths n 1 Humanities or
2. L1, 1 Science, 1 Maths, 1 MT n 1 Humanities

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ParkYuni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 am

Thanks zbear. I am just worried if only a maximum of 2 of each category of subjects can be used for computation of R5.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge