Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby MMM » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 am

Streaming is settled for us. dd got her first choice.

Unsure if this is the right thread. But thought there should be alot of Sec 2 parents viewing this thread so I can get some ideas.

dd is doing HCL so she is sitting for O level CL next year. How can we prepare them for O level CL? Do we need to get those O level papers for them to practise?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4774
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 80


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby zbear » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:06 am

ParkYuni wrote:Thanks zbear. I am just worried if only a maximum of 2 of each category of subjects can be used for computation of R5.



Is your child doing O levels this year?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5209
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 66


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby ParkYuni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am

zbear wrote:Is your child doing O levels this year?


No but next year :sweat:

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:49 pm
Total Likes: 16


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby ParkYuni » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am

MMM wrote:Streaming is settled for us. dd got her first choice.

Unsure if this is the right thread. But thought there should be alot of Sec 2 parents viewing this thread so I can get some ideas.

dd is doing HCL so she is sitting for O level CL next year. How can we prepare them for O level CL? Do we need to get those O level papers for them to practise?


Congrats MMM!

There shouldn't be much problem for HCL pupils sitting for CL. Among friends' DCs, all get at least an A2 for O level CL.
As the new CL syllabus started only last year, there won't be much to practice on even if you purchase the 10 year series. The vocabulary are not textbook based. It's best to get practice papers from other schools. During my DD1's time, her school got many exchanged CL exam papers from other schools. I am sure you can seek help from your DD's HCL teacher. It's good for your DD to familiarised herself with the CL format, esp on oral.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:49 pm
Total Likes: 16


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby yewsm » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 pm

Saw an earlier post regarding L1R5. Can someone pls confirm that my below understanding is correct ?
1.L1R4 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 4 subjects ?
2.L1R5 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 5 subjects ?

yewsm
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:44 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby Sieg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:45 am

yewsm wrote:Saw an earlier post regarding L1R5. Can someone pls confirm that my below understanding is correct ?
1.L1R4 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 4 subjects ?
2.L1R5 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 5 subjects ?


I am interested to learn abut L1R4 computation too, which is for poly entrance requirement. They seem to have L1R2B2 for some courses or is it for all courses?

For L1R5,
L1 = English or HMT
R5 must include at least one of the following subjects:
i.e. must include 1 science, 1 math and 1 humanities before including 2 any other best subjects.
Other best subjects can be any sci, math, humanities, MT, AEP, MEP, etc.
If HMT is used as the L1, then cannot include MT as one of the R5 subjects.

Sieg
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:15 am
Total Likes: 8


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby schweppes » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:57 am

Sieg wrote:
yewsm wrote:Saw an earlier post regarding L1R5. Can someone pls confirm that my below understanding is correct ?
1.L1R4 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 4 subjects ?
2.L1R5 = Eng (compulsory) + the next best 5 subjects ?


I am interested to learn abut L1R4 computation too, which is for poly entrance requirement. They seem to have L1R2B2 for some courses or is it for all courses?

For L1R5,
L1 = English or HMT
R5 must include at least one of the following subjects:
i.e. must include 1 science, 1 math and 1 humanities before including 2 any other best subjects.
Other best subjects can be any sci, math, humanities, MT, AEP, MEP, etc.
If HMT is used as the L1, then cannot include MT as one of the R5 subjects.


L1R2B2 refers to all poly courses.

What the R2 or relevant 2 subjects should be really depends on the course that the student is applying for. So, you need to look at the course admission requirements that the student is interested in.

Can't comment on the HMT part but most poly courses require a minimum C6 for EL and Emaths for admission.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby Sieg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:05 pm

schweppes wrote:
L1R2B2 refers to all poly courses.

What the R2 or relevant 2 subjects should be really depends on the course that the student is applying for. So, you need to look at the course admission requirements that the student is interested in.

Can't comment on the HMT part but most poly courses require a minimum C6 for EL and Emaths for admission.


Oh I see. Thanks, schweppes.

In addition, L1R4 is for computation of points for application to Millenia Institute but I do not know the details.

Sieg
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:15 am
Total Likes: 8


Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Postby Vail » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:51 pm

hello all. can I ask if the subjects you choose sec 2 streaming affects what course you want to take in future? like if you want go poly. or in Uni

thanks ^_^

Vail
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:43 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Sec 2 Streaming Subject Combination? Help anyone?

Postby PhysicsTeacher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm

This is an important question when you turn Sec 2.

I have posted in this forum statistically inferred that Physics is the easiest to score and pass.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 9#p1624199

PhysicsTeacher
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm
Total Likes: 4


PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support