Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Post Reply
MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 11,

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by MandyMummy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 pm

jasmineyak wrote:Thnks for both yr comments.
Will hv to make a decision by tmr. :shrug: :sad:
Lets say if he takes double sci biology n chem, what type of courses is offered in jc? Guess the option is limited.
One more setback for triple sci; he has to pass well in his humanities subj s.studies/geo elect given only one humanities offered. That's also quite risky as compared to double sci.
Thnks to correct if my understanding is wrong. :?:
If your ds takes double science (biology and chemistry) and if he wishes to stay in the Science stream in JC, he will have many options to choose from. If he wishes to take 3H2 and 1H1, he can take double science (bio and chem at H2), H2 Maths and econs or any humanities at H1 level. He can also take single science (H2 chem), H2 Math, H2 econs or other humanities, and another humanities or bio at H1 level.
As long as he takes chemistry and another science subject at O level, he will have plenty of courses to choose from in the Science stream at JC. Don't worry.
If he wants to change to the Arts And Humanities stream, his humanities subjects at O level will put him in good stead. :smile:

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Oct 29,
Total Likes:2

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by koguma » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Advise needed.

Nephew is studying in a neighbourhood school which is only 6 years old. The first 2 batch of students were offered triple science but the results were not satisfactory.

The principal of the school, who joined in 2008, decided not to offer triple science next year, citing poor performance by the earlier batch of students.

my nephew is disappointed as he always wanted to do triple science. he did well in the 2 subjects since sec 1 and has consistently maintain a grade of 80 and above for the 2 subjects.

how should i advise him on the rational of the school in coming out with the decision. seriously i don't know how to explain as i don't buy the explaination given by the principal !

cchho
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 06,

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by cchho » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 pm

my girl's secondary just called me to inform me that the school will not be offering literature due to low take up rate.

Any other school also do that?

She enjoys literature, don't know what to do.

Lousy school.

prancingpony
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jul 10,

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by prancingpony » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Yes, my son's school is not offering core history next year as this subject did not get as many votes as geography and literature. And my son prefers history. :( Last year literature was not offered. So, he is going to list geography as part of his subject combi and appeal for history. Is it safe to just choose only 7 subjects, can anyone let me know? My son wants to take 8 but if he's not offerred history, he wants to just take 7 and i am worried if that is risky?

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Dec 30,
Total Likes:50

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by zeemimi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:24 pm

cchho wrote:my girl's secondary just called me to inform me that the school will not be offering literature due to low take up rate.

Any other school also do that?

She enjoys literature, don't know what to do.

Lousy school.
She can opt to study literature herself and take her 'o' lvel lit paper as a sch candidate. More difficult la but can be done.


cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 06,

Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Post by cheese » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 pm

My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 11,

Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Post by MandyMummy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 pm

cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.
Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:

cheese
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 06,

Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Post by cheese » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:23 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.
Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:
Thks MandyMummy. She had no interest and confidence in Physics. She will also be taking Add Maths Next Yr. :smile:

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Aug 11,

Re: Combination of subjects for secondary three

Post by MandyMummy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm

cheese wrote:
MandyMummy wrote:
cheese wrote:My dd who will be sec 3 next yr had chosen Biology and Chemistry and one humanities as her school does not hv double humanities. Heard that without Physics will be lesser choice in JC. Is that so, what are the avaiable courses in JC or poly? Pls advise. Thanks.
Most of the science students in JCs will be taking 2 sciences. I don't think not taking Physics will mean less choice. Of course, your dd cannot take H2 physics since she does not have O level physics.
The subject combination that she can take in JC (science stream) could be
Chem, bio, Maths and 1 humanities
Math, chem, and 2 humanities etc.

It may be useful for her to check out if physics is a pre-requisite for her desired course in the university and so whether she should be taking physics instead of biology as one of her sciences.
You can refer to this link for NUS.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/local/p ... s.html#top
:smile:
Thks MandyMummy. She had no interest and confidence in Physics. She will also be taking Add Maths Next Yr. :smile:
Oic, taking Add Maths is good as she will find the transition to H2 Math easier with a stronger Math foundation. All the best to your dd. :smile:

Sugar Supreme
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 22,

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by Sugar Supreme » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm

I end up getting into 2P2 combinations instead of 2P5 combination.. :(

Post Reply