Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
zakashi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by zakashi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 am

There is no triple Science in JC?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:211

Post by phtthp » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 am

zakashi wrote:There is no triple Science in JC?
Only in Sg, SEAB "force" us to take one contrasting Arts subject, therefore no Triple Science is allowed in any Junior College, in Year (5 and 6). Other countries, they don't enforce such funny rule.

But if u are refering to IP schools like National JC, Temasek JC, up to (Year 3 & 4) only, Yes, can still take Triple Sci. But not beyond Year 4

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by doodbug » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am

If keen on triple science in years 5 and 6, you may want to check with NUSH....they may offer

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Post by floppy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm

jtoh wrote: I share the same view as slmkhoo; that it's a good idea to keep your options open at upper sec level because many students do not know what they would like to study at JC or university. However not everyone's cut out for triple science. So if you know you don't have an aptitude or interest in Physics or Bio or even Chem, it's best not to take up that subject in upper sec. And as for Chem being the compulsory science, that's not always the case. Depending on the school, you can take Physics without Chem.
It’s not always that straightforward. For e.g. current students (2018 and most likely same for this year) in my secondary school’s will have to pick either Physics & Chemistry, or triple science combination (much the same as it has been since my time). Even if Chemistry is your worst subject, you would have to suck it up and deal with it.

For schools that allow one pure science subject, there will always be a combined science option. Hence, I don’t think you can truly siam the subject unless the subject you want to siam is biology.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:105

Post by jtoh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 pm

floppy wrote:
jtoh wrote: I share the same view as slmkhoo; that it's a good idea to keep your options open at upper sec level because many students do not know what they would like to study at JC or university. However not everyone's cut out for triple science. So if you know you don't have an aptitude or interest in Physics or Bio or even Chem, it's best not to take up that subject in upper sec. And as for Chem being the compulsory science, that's not always the case. Depending on the school, you can take Physics without Chem.
It’s not always that straightforward. For e.g. current students (2018 and most likely same for this year) in my secondary school’s will have to pick either Physics & Chemistry, or triple science combination (much the same as it has been since my time). Even if Chemistry is your worst subject, you would have to suck it up and deal with it.

For schools that allow one pure science subject, there will always be a combined science option. Hence, I don’t think you can truly siam the subject unless the subject you want to siam is biology.
That's why I said "depending on the school." And yes, I know of schools that allow it; ie where chem isn't compulsory. IP school, not O level school.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 pm

jtoh wrote:
floppy wrote:

That's why I said "depending on the school." And yes, I know of schools that allow it; ie where chem isn't compulsory. IP school, not O level school.
Interesting, which IP school would that be?
I can rule out my school since both streams seem to have adopted the same guidelines, except that the IP stream seems to have only one option: triple science. I would have assume that the other IP schools are the same.

kidznme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kidznme » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Sorry, I'm completely out of touch on this one but would like to find out more. If my DD is keen to go on JC route and wanted to take medicine course in Uni later on, what's the best combi subjects she should take in order meet the criteria of JC/Uni later on?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

kidznme wrote:Sorry, I'm completely out of touch on this one but would like to find out more. If my DD is keen to go on JC route and wanted to take medicine course in Uni later on, what's the best combi subjects she should take in order meet the criteria of JC/Uni later on?
Triple science.

It’s not a must but it’s still then best combination. The knowledge gained would be useful in Med school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:38 am

floppy wrote:
kidznme wrote:Sorry, I'm completely out of touch on this one but would like to find out more. If my DD is keen to go on JC route and wanted to take medicine course in Uni later on, what's the best combi subjects she should take in order meet the criteria of JC/Uni later on?
Triple science.

It’s not a must but it’s still then best combination. The knowledge gained would be useful in Med school.
Minimally, she should take 2 sciences because Medicine (NUS/NTU) requires Chem and 1 other science. Some overseas universities may require Chem and Bio. She should also take double maths as Science stream students in JC should take H2 Maths. Other subjects - whatever she likes.

Carol222
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Carol222 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:21 pm

If we look at the bigger picture of education, we should aim for all-round development of the child. Our child may like to do (or we as parents may be pushing him to do) triple science, but I think it is a good idea to include at least one humanities subject. Even if our child decides to become a doctor or a scientist, he needs to understand the world around him and communicate with people. Some training in the arts will help him develop some EQ and express himself better.