Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Either the teacher is trying to limit the no. of students taking his subject, or he's not communicating well. I think the "new" way of teaching humanities is to discourage reliance on books or notes that claim to provide "model answers", which students think they can memorise and regurgitate. The idea is that students should learn the basic facts (which won't fill thick-thick notes), then think about them and understand how the facts relate to each other. This requires more analysis, and the idea is to wean students (and parents) off looking for model answers. And unless the teacher is really trying not to teach, having fewer notes will actually help students pay more attention and think rather than relying on notes to memorise.

I wouldn't necesarily worry about kids failing - if most of the class fails, then it it says more about the teacher than the students, doesn't it? It's more where your child is in the pecking order that matters. If you judge him to be in the upper half and he's there, the actual mark doesn't matter. I would only worry if you think he should be at the top, and he's in the middle, or you think he should be in the middle, and he's at the bottom.

CF123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by CF123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi, are you still looking? Private tuition is better when your child needs multiple subjects, and also when your child is shy. Is your house next to MRT? PM if you need private tutor.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jacsplace » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm

This is what my DS's school is offering. My DS has no interest in which JC or poly course to take, or what kind of career he would like to have. He's doing well in English and Science. Maths, art and D&T are his worst subjects. MTL is koyak, he's taking the B syllabus for it and barely managing to pass.

Wonder if anyone here would have any thoughts on which combination he should pick?

TIA!

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by coast » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

jacsplace wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm

This is what my DS's school is offering. My DS has no interest in which JC or poly course to take, or what kind of career he would like to have. He's doing well in English and Science. Maths, art and D&T are his worst subjects. MTL is koyak, he's taking the B syllabus for it and barely managing to pass.

Wonder if anyone here would have any thoughts on which combination he should pick?

TIA!
Seems that to take Pure Science (noted that your DS is doing well in Science), you have to consider one of the first 3 options (8 subjects). If that is the case, he needs to take Add Math as well. How did he do for Maths in PSLE? Was it a sudden drop in Sec 2 (compared to Sec 1)? Perhaps check with his Math teacher on how to improve his Math. Or get someone to look at his Maths test papers to find out what is needed to improve his Math. There is still a few months before year-end exam to improve his Maths.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by jacsplace » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:25 pm

He got D7 for PSLE. I would say yes to a sudden drop in Sec 2 as he got an F9 for his May exam. His Math teacher says he needs more drills.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:148

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:51 pm

jacsplace wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:25 pm
He got D7 for PSLE. I would say yes to a sudden drop in Sec 2 as he got an F9 for his May exam. His Math teacher says he needs more drills.
I presume you mean D for PSLE. D7 / E8 / F9 is for O Level :wink:

Firstly, I would avoid Additional Math, unless you / your son are a closet sadomasochist.
Secondly, I would avoid Pure Physics, if possible, because Newtonian mechanics is basically Math.
With that in mind, you are down to only 5 options on the right (and in any case, you cannot pick the first 7 options since his math won't meet the qualifying criteria).

Which one to pick will the depend on meeting the following 3 criteria:
Lit >= 55; or
Art >= 60; or
D&T >= 60
If Eng is one of his strength, I would assume he isn't doing too badly for Lit. Hence, the 3 options with Lit should be a better pick. The last fixed subject (POA, Art or D&T) would have to be the one that he hates the least. His choice for the 1st optional subject (humanities) probably won't make much of a difference but he may want to consider Ch/Bio combo. for his 2nd optional subject (science).

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by jacsplace » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Yup, I meant D for PSLE, silly me!

Thanks for the advice. Something to think about and work towards. We would like to avoid combining subjects bcos if he does badly in one and good in the other, the poor marks will drag down the good marks. Can't help it for SS, but would like to avoid it for science.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:148

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:50 pm

jacsplace wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Yup, I meant D for PSLE, silly me!

Thanks for the advice. Something to think about and work towards. We would like to avoid combining subjects bcos if he does badly in one and good in the other, the poor marks will drag down the good marks. Can't help it for SS, but would like to avoid it for science.
Given the info that you have shared earlier, he may have some challenges to qualify for the pure science options (Math >= 60 is one of the condition). Hence, it's not a matter of avoidance but just trying to be honest and realistic.

As for "combining subjects", "if he does badly in one and good in the other, the poor marks will drag down the good marks" is the whole point because the reverse is also true - if he does good in one and badly in the other, the good marks will pull up the bad marks. Consider the following:

1. Add Math is likely a goner. Whether he chooses to drop it, or fail it, he's effectively down to 7 subjects in the pure science option (don't even consider the other 4 combined science option with Add Math).

2. Next, following your argument, if you already assume he's going to do badly in 1 subject, he's down to 6 subjects - bare minimum for JC (and honestly, JC may not be the best fit because if you are struggling with Math in A Level*, the number of openings for university reduces drastically).

The whole idea of combining subjects is to keep your options alive. You may be doing some trading off, but you will have 7 full subjects to play with. Unless you can pick out 5 subjects* that you know he's going to do well in, it's better to play it safe.

* unfortunately, Math is also an important component in Polytechnic admission. Math is part of the R2 in most L1R2B2 combination for polytechnic courses. Therefore, you can't fail it or do badly because some courses state a minimum score and you have to include it.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by jacsplace » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Yup, I'm aware that maths is important for poly and jc. I've told my son that and stressed to him that he has to put aside his dislike for maths and really try to do well, at least C6 for starters.