Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by mommyNg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:49 am

Thx SMC! If this is a H1 subject then defeats the purpose as still need to look for a contrasting subject in H2 and econs is known to be tough at scoring in A levels.
I thought the contrasting subject can be taken at H1, not necessary must be at H2?

Edit: found out that although contrasting subject can be taken at H1, e.g., H1 Econs for science students and H1 Math for arts students, Third Languages can only be counted as contrasting subjects if taken at H2 and not H1.
Last edited by mommyNg on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:211

Post by phtthp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm

in terms of syllabus scope, is there much difference between (H2 vs. H1) Economics ?

If difference not a lot, might as take H2 Econs.

But if difference is wide, can take H1 Econs, but also need to consider which are the other 3 H2 subjects ?

But if take H1 subject, what is the weightage like, when come to compute UAS ?

Also, look at those university courses that require Econs entry subject. Are they asking for H2 or H1 Econs, for admission into university ?

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by sky minecrafter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:37 pm

With regards to Japanese, at H1 or H2...

Sorry to have been unclear...current H2 Japanese content (jmo) does not seem to allow the student to learn as much as what a linguistically strong student can learn in a shorter time locally in Japan, plus H2 languages look difficult to score... So, if Imp's kids are looking at scoring well easily, or learning in-depth, there may be better options? Just bouncing ideas. :-)
Last edited by sky minecrafter on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:03 pm

phtthp wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm
in terms of syllabus scope, is there much difference between (H2 vs. H1) Economics ?
If difference not a lot, might as take H2 Econs.
But if difference is wide, can take H1 Econs, but also need to consider which are the other 3 H2 subjects ?
Hearsay is that H1 Econs is about 2/3 of the H2 Econs, so may not be really "worth" taking it at H1.

But if take H1 subject, what is the weightage like, when come to compute UAS ?
No impact on UAS as the points for th 4th H2 are halved. In fact, if you can get a better grade at H1 than H2 (e.g. A at H1 vs B at H2), it's better for the UAS computation. Many students take 3 H2 and 1 H1 rather than 4 H2. 4 H2 does give more flexibility if the student isn't sure which his weakest subject is, because any of the 4 can be used as the "4th" subject, but this flexibility has to be compared with the time and effort required to take that 4th subject as a H2. If the student really needs that extra time, and already knows which subject he is weakest in, then it's probably better to take a H1.

Also, look at those university courses that require Econs entry subject. Are they asking for H2 or H1 Econs, for admission into university ?
I don't think there are any university courses, in Singapore or elsewhere, which require Econs as a prerequisite.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by Imp75 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 am

Why would people take 4H2 with increased content rather than 3H21H1 which frees up more time? I read HCI website that most take 4H2.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:183

Post by floppy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 am

Imp75 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 am
Why would people take 4H2 with increased content rather than 3H21H1 which frees up more time? I read HCI website that most take 4H2.
1. Options
- Most local university courses have subject pre-requisite in H2, rarely in H1. With 1 additional H2, the number of options open up.

2. Scholarships
- Which would be the target that most students in HCI should be aiming for.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by Imp75 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am

floppy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 am
Imp75 wrote:
1. Options
- Most local university courses have subject pre-requisite in H2, rarely in H1. With 1 additional H2, the number of options open up.

2. Scholarships
Ok if doesn’t really care for 1 or 2 (eg non science courses), can just take 3H2 right cos I heard A level syllabus really content heavy so if can take lesser might as well do that.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:11 am

Imp75 wrote:
Possible reasons: For interest, if the student is capable, why do less if he can handle more? Or he can't decide yet which course he wants to do, so keeps his options open. Or if he isn't sure which his lowest score will be, so, again, keeps his options open as to which subject to declare as the "4th". For giving scholarship boards and university admissions boards a better impression of his abilities. Some very competitive universities in the UK give conditional offers of 3 or 4 H2s, so students who are eyeing such places will probably want to take 4 H2s.

For JC students in general, some start with 4 H2, but later drop one to H1. Some students take 4 H2 and 1 (or even 2) H3 subjects, while still coping with a lot of CCA etc, even though H3 scores are not counted in the UAS or required by university admissions overseas. My younger daughter's classmates all took at least 1 subject at a higher level knowing that some of the material wouldn't count towards A levels, and also an H3 (often in a different subject from the one they took at the higher level). They were willing to stretch themselves, and for those who are willing and able, it's good that the options are available. It's not something I would recommend to most students, though, as it can be very heavy.

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by doodbug » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 am

For local university entry currently, you must take 4 content subjects, i.e. either 4H2 or 3H2+1H1. (This is different from our time, where you can do either 4 or 3 A level content subjects, and omit the 4th poorest score content subject in the UAS computation.)
Project Work and GP are also included in the UAS, hence it is compulsory.
It is not compulsory to include the Mother Tongue grade in the UAS computation; you just need to fulfil the minimum requirement for Mother Tongue.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:105

Post by jtoh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 am

Imp75 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am
floppy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 am
Imp75 wrote:
1. Options

2. Scholarships
Ok if doesn’t really care for 1 or 2 (eg non science courses), can just take 3H2 right cos I heard A level syllabus really content heavy so if can take lesser might as well do that.
Of course. I would venture to guess that most students in the population take 3H2s rather than 4. The important thing is to score at your UAS. If taking 3H2s rather than 4 allows you to maximise your score, why not. But if you have certain courses in mind which require H2 subject pre-requisites or if taking 4H2s would stand you in a more favourable state, then take 4H2s. Some JCs like HCI and RI have 4H2 as a default (provided that you meet the pre-requisites). This is because the JCs view the students as being capable of being stretched with no adverse impact on their UAS scores.