Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
zhigrace
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by zhigrace » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 am

I need to confirm my subject combination next Tuesday. I really want to be in A maths but I didn't score well for my exams. Can I still enter A math with just 69% overall? I scored A2 for my EOY and MYE but my test pulled my marks down :(

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by coast » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:32 pm

zhigrace wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 am
I need to confirm my subject combination next Tuesday. I really want to be in A maths but I didn't score well for my exams. Can I still enter A math with just 69% overall? I scored A2 for my EOY and MYE but my test pulled my marks down :(
Talk to your Maths teacher or the Teacher in-charge of Subject Combination. Usually there will be appeal process where the school will consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis. From what you wrote, there is a good chance that your school will consider your case especially if you have the passion and motivation for the subject.

All the best!

Pizza862268
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Pizza862268 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Please help me! Thank you!
For my overall score,

Eng: 60
Math: 83.8
Sci: 72.3
MT: 64.435
Geog: 72
Hist: 67
Lit: 67.4
In my school, there is only double science and double humanities and triple science and one humanities
Is it possible for me to get triple science?
For humanities, should I take Geography or Literature? I am more interested in literature but my geography has better grades? Thanks!
[/quote]

zhigrace
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by zhigrace » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 pm

I think u should put literature as your first choice. Considering your grades for science and math, you have a high chance of going to triple science although it also depends on your school sec 2 cohort overall marks.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:15

Post by qms » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:13 pm

Pizza862268 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:47 pm
Please help me! Thank you!
For my overall score,

Eng: 60
Math: 83.8
Sci: 72.3
MT: 64.435
Geog: 72
Hist: 67
Lit: 67.4
In my school, there is only double science and double humanities and triple science and one humanities
Is it possible for me to get triple science?
For humanities, should I take Geography or Literature? I am more interested in literature but my geography has better grades? Thanks!
For Science, which area are you well in? Physics, Chemistry or Biology? I know that for some schools, you need to score at least 80 marks in Science and achieve overall percentage of 70% to take Triple Science. So, it depends on your school's criteria.

If you have zero interest in Humanities, it might help if you choose the one that you are interested in.

Pizza862268
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Pizza862268 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Thank you.

ongstarling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ongstarling » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi, would like some advice.
My ds is offered combined science (phy/chem) and POA although he is very interested in science.

Will having just 1 combined science affect his route to JC after the O levels , assuming he wants to pursue Science subjects? Or having 2 pure science subjects is better? Would have to appeal if this is the basic requirements.

He is being offered POA but I feel that POA can always be studied after O levels if interest is there and it is too early to "cement" his route for now.

Thanks!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm

ongstarling wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi, would like some advice.
My ds is offered combined science (phy/chem) and POA although he is very interested in science.

Will having just 1 combined science affect his route to JC after the O levels , assuming he wants to pursue Science subjects? Or having 2 pure science subjects is better? Would have to appeal if this is the basic requirements.

He is being offered POA but I feel that POA can always be studied after O levels if interest is there and it is too early to "cement" his route for now.

Thanks!
Incomplete picture, so I will make a couple of deductions but first, to address your query on the requirement: pure science is not a pre-requisite for science subjects in JC. Nonetheless, having pure science foundation helps since there will be greater overlap between O / A Level subject matter (ie less to catch up in JC).

Since you did not provide his result, I'm assuming that he did not do well in his science and / or overall grades to be offered pure science subjects in his school. There could be a valid concern that he may not be able to do well for the pure science subject(s) in O Level. Interest notwithstanding, suitability and ability to achieve result is important, especially for O Level since it will affect his eligibility to JC and polytechnic courses.

POA is, unfortunately, very much a 'filler' subject these days (so that student can have a 7th or 8th subject). Yes, it can always be studied after O Level or sometime later, but if the school is offering it to him, I see it as a signal that academically, the school isn't confident in him, or think it's overall better for him not to be overburden with another core subject like science, humanities or math. You can always replace it with another subject but you should bear in mind that in L1R5 or L1R2B2 calculations, scoring A1 in a 'filler' is worth more than a getting B3 in a 'core' subject. IMHO, POA is probably a better choice than F&N, D&T, etc.

Finally, the elephant in the room. Like I said, the details are incomplete, but based on the school's offering, I don't think JC, especially their science stream, would be a suitable or viable pathway for him.

ongstarling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ongstarling » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi Floppy

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear your view.
Shall think it through and discuss with him again.
His science is a few marks short of the overall minimum for the cut off and he would have to put in a lot of effort to perform well for O levels, but having said that, it is also good to consider the alternative choice ( as suggested).

Thanks!

travoltagetriggered
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by travoltagetriggered » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:24 pm

I totally agree POA is a filler. But it could be an advantage if your child can do well in the subject, basically a 'free A'. You should look into your child's strength and weakness and help him or her decide. Honestly, I was glad my DS wasn't offered pure Bio in the past, cause he couldn't memorize at all. At first we lamented not having another pure science subject but in hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise.