Secondary 2 Streaming

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
kidznme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Secondary 2 Streaming

Post by kidznme » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:38 pm

My DD has been selected for pure chem and pure physics. However she told me she'd prefer bio over physics. Moreover her wish is to try to get into medicine school eventually. Plus she's going to be taking A Math. So that's a lot of pressure on her from the nature of subjects she's taking. Any feedback is much appreciated.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:19 pm

kidznme wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:38 pm
My DD has been selected for pure chem and pure physics. However she told me she'd prefer bio over physics. Moreover her wish is to try to get into medicine school eventually. Plus she's going to be taking A Math. So that's a lot of pressure on her from the nature of subjects she's taking. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Your daughter’s combo is fairly common, at least in all the top schools, as well as among medical school aspirants. Biology vs Physics would purely be a personal preference.

kidznme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kidznme » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:03 pm

She didn't do well in physics in Sec 1 and somehow this year, her physics result got better than expected. Maybe it was because of that that she got into that combo. However her interest is still very much in bio than physics.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by sky minecrafter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello kidznme, adding on to floppy's advice... interest is important, why not get your child to consult the teachers about switching over to Biology? Hear what teachers have to advise, any real concerns. Where there's a will there's a way; I'm sure the child's passion can overcome the workload!

kidznme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kidznme » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Thank you both. My DD likes biology more than physics. She didn't like physics at all but somehow she scored well in her EOY result. That was really her pure luck. She said the paper was easy. However she really wanted to appeal to go into bio tho'

kidznme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kidznme » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Thank you both. My DD likes biology more than physics. She didn't like physics at all but somehow she scored well in her EOY result. That was really her pure luck. She said the paper was easy. However she really wanted to appeal to go into bio tho'

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:70

Post by Estéema » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:13 pm

kidznme wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 pm
Tho she didn’t like physics but scored better after initial poor results, shows she has determination to work hard.

If she has interests in bio & not physics, then try to appeal for change based on her interests. Educators will u’stand. IMO, physics is tougher for most girls & those who take physics hv a greater aim to do engineering.

Hope yr DD’s sch view her interests favorably. All the best!

h530251
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by h530251 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 am

Hi all,

just to check if the student do not study phyics in sec 3 onwards, are they allowed to take phyics in JC ?

If can, would it be very tough since they lack the phyics knowledge since they did not study in the upper sec ?

Also, with no phyics in JC, can the student take any engineering course in Uni ?

Thanks.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:35

Post by mommyNg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:06 pm

h530251 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 am
Hi all,

just to check if the student do not study phyics in sec 3 onwards, are they allowed to take phyics in JC ?

If can, would it be very tough since they lack the phyics knowledge since they did not study in the upper sec ?

Also, with no phyics in JC, can the student take any engineering course in Uni ?

Thanks.
No, I don’t think you can take physics at H2 in JC if you haven’t taken physics in Sec 3/4 at all (combined Science may be ok).

E.g.,

https://cjc.moe.edu.sg/admission/subjec ... tions-2019

Not all engineering courses require H2 physics. But even if they accept you without H2 physics, an engineering program can be tough for a student with limited physics background.

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply-to-nus/ ... requisites

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:54 pm

h530251 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 am
Hi all,

Thanks.
Here is a list of various Junior Colleges A-level subject combination requirements.

For Pure Physics -
If you have never taken O-level Physics before, nor its equivalent in the IP Year (3 and 4) program, students are Not allowed to take H2 Physics in JC, as they lack the foundation needed

The same, apply to Pure Bio

However, for O-level students who had taken Combined Science (Physics) and have scored an A1, some JCs allow

can check, each JC requirements

https://www.reddit.com/r/SGExams/commen ... l_schools/
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.