Sec3 failure in subjects. Need help

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sec3 failure in subjects. Need help

Postby ga2004 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Dear All,
My daughter has been scored very bad this overall year.
I am wondering if she could still be able to fair well in her exams.
Now since her overall weightage has resulted very bad i have to speak to her school to understand whether she can still be able to be promoted to o levels.

If anyone has had this expeireince please let me know how to help her. I have tried tutions but really need to see the best tutors who can help her .
she scores well in English and MT and history however her maths and chemistry is very weak so tried tutoring but has not helped her final year result.

She was a good scoring in PSLE with 248 so I am really worried how to help her. It would be really very difficult if she looses a year dur to this bad scoring.

thanks. Looking forward for a response.
Worried Mom.

ga2004
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Sec3 failure in subjects. Need help

Postby isetan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 pm

May I know besides Tuition, is she putting in extra effort to work on the weaknesses herself?

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Tuition without any follow up is futile. I always tell my students that they need to revise the material which I go through within 24 hours to retain maximum information. She may have surface understanding on those subjects and probably needs to understand the basics first. Many students do not follow their tutor's strategies absolutely. They still stick to their old methods of learning.

At secondary level, I would think that those weaker subjects should have additional 1.5 to 2 hrs tuition. I have seen parents who expect improvement by engaging a tutor to tutor 2-3 subjects just once a week. I'm not sure about the situation in your case.

If you need recommendations for guidebooks and tuition, I can recommend my cousin whom I trust.

Take care.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Need strategies for improvement. Different study techniques for different subjects. Cannot use the same approach for every subject.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:24 pm

TheAnswer, in your opinion, how many hours of tuition is required for the weakest subject? Assuming I want to increase the grade for that particular subject from 60% to 80% and the subject is language.

(I imagine DS will have this problem in 2-3 years time)

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Sometimes it's not about not knowing your work but not knowing how to apply what you learnt. So spending more on tuition may not be effective.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Nebbermind, in your opinion, wat could be done if a student did not know how to apply of wat he was being taught?

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 pm

If Math and Chemistry are her weakest subjects, it could be that she has a weak foundation in the two subjects. You need to get a tutor who can help build her foundation and develop from there. Group tuition will not work.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ukulele » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi worried mum, i sent u a pm

ukulele
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:23 pm

jtoh wrote:If Math and Chemistry are her weakest subjects, it could be that she has a weak foundation in the two subjects. You need to get a tutor who can help build her foundation and develop from there. Group tuition will not work.

I agree with you. For Maths, I think it's good to revisit topics from Sec 1 and build all the way up. By Sec 3, it's expected that they still remember the previous concepts (prerequisite knowledge).

For chemistry it's important to know which are the key concepts, answer using keywords. Even sentence structure plays an important part in how the answer is presented. They will be marked against a stringent answer key. General answers will not be given any marks. It is no surprise that many students do badly for pure sciences.

In some schools, all Sec 4 students will have to take exams in the beginning of the year to determine if they need to drop any weaker subjects.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support