I need help in my mother tongue language!!!!!!

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

I need help in my mother tongue language!!!!!!

Postby Parenthelper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Hello parents.I am in secondary 1 this year and going to be in secondary 2 next year.for the past 6 years and this year,I have done badly for mother tongue.I claim responsibility for the fact that I was not very interested in the subject when I was in kindergarden and thus,never paid attention.But I am willing to try any method you parents might propose.I am currently under a lot of pressure from my parent and relatives about improving my mother tongue,Chinese language.I always get tips like,converse in chinese as much as possible but everytime I do,I don't feel like learning chinese any more.Do give me some tips please.Much help will be appreciated. :nailbite: :please:

Parenthelper
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: I need help in my mother tongue language!!!!!!

Postby verybewildered » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:30 am

why don't you start by exposing yourself to the language more? do you watch any chinese drama or news or variety shows etc? these may be simple ways to help you get the hang of the language from the listening aspect. then you certainly need to read some chinese materials - my son tried reading translations for books he likes in english eg. harry potter in chinese or something or whatever you like. it's best to get someone to converse with you in chinese too

verybewildered
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Parenthelper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 am

Thank you verybewildered.I will try out this methods.Thank you for your help.

Parenthelper
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verybewildered » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

No problem! Hope you would be able to improve in your mother tongue somehow :)

verybewildered
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dreamybee » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:00 am

I like to share some tips and methods. I was a tutor before n coached many students who r weak in languages ESP Chinese . My twins only speak English at home n they still score distinction for both English n Chinese.

What I did was very simple. In fact, Chinese can be learne easier than English as no tenses etc.

Be hardworking and start copying Chinese essays or even yr Chinese textbook. Choose at least 3 essays u like each week. Look up dictionary n translate the meanings n write on top of the essays. If u can afford, do go buy an electric dictionary as can help u easier.

Comprehension, u have no choice but also to do as many from top school past year papers. You will noticed that there r many repetitive thinking questions and answers can b similar. Try memorizing them.

Composition, besides able to write a proper compo, in order to score points, 成语,形容词,人物,景物。。。you have to memorise as well. Choose simple n those u like.

I was also a distinction student in Chinese and got top in school for essays writing yearly. I focused a lot on composition as I could score for paper 2.

I dunno how badly u did but u can always pm me for tips if u need. Do not give up but kept working hard.

Work hard, learn smart, that's the way!

Dreamybee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Parenthelper » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you dreamy bee !I will try out the tips! :)

Parenthelper
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby HappieNewbie123 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi, you may wish to listen to chinese songs too :) conversing in chinese is impt, reading up and writing are also very impt. Maybe listen to chinese radio? I dont really likr to listen to sg's chinese radio, I 'll usually listen to Taiwan's Kiss Radio 99.9. If you dont mind, you can try to write notes, diaries, etc in chinese. If you really really nid help, u may wish to talk to your chinese teacher and maybe ask him/her to help u by calling you more to ans questions in class. Or maybe get a good chinese tutor. My chinese isnt good until I met mine in p5. She really helped a lot and was really patient with me. Hope you can improve :)

HappieNewbie123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Parenthelper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you so much.I will give it a shot.Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Parenthelper
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kitty2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 am

Dreamybee wrote:I like to share some tips and methods. I was a tutor before n coached many students who r weak in languages ESP Chinese . My twins only speak English at home n they still score distinction for both English n Chinese.

What I did was very simple. In fact, Chinese can be learne easier than English as no tenses etc.

Be hardworking and start copying Chinese essays or even yr Chinese textbook. Choose at least 3 essays u like each week. Look up dictionary n translate the meanings n write on top of the essays. If u can afford, do go buy an electric dictionary as can help u easier.

Comprehension, u have no choice but also to do as many from top school past year papers. You will noticed that there r many repetitive thinking questions and answers can b similar. Try memorizing them.

Composition, besides able to write a proper compo, in order to score points, 成语,形容词,人物,景物。。。you have to memorise as well. Choose simple n those u like.

I was also a distinction student in Chinese and got top in school for essays writing yearly. I focused a lot on composition as I could score for paper 2.

I dunno how badly u did but u can always pm me for tips if u need. Do not give up but kept working hard.

Work hard, learn smart, that's the way!

Thanks for sharing,wonder where to get top school Chinese papers?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SavedbyGrace » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am

Hello, I am an upper sec HCL student in a SAP school. The best way to study, as recommended by my teachers and from experience, is by reading extracurricular books that you take interest in. This is likely to be story books, not cultural/historical books. We are required to read at least 1 book per term break. (I am currently selling these books, you may wish to refer to my post here: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 95&t=62904) We regularly write 阅读报告, about twice a term on 少年文摘 (we subscribe to it). The writing ensures we are actually reading and provides an avenue to 练笔。This is how my school helps us improve our language (which is key in studying a language).

Another tip is to watch News5Tonight at 9.30pm every night on Channel 5, followed by the Chinese News at 10pm on Channel 8. Though the News is not always the same, main headlines will definitely appear on both News. This allows you to understand how a piece of information in English can be translated into Chinese (which helps if you often process your thoughts in English but have difficulty expressing them in Chinese), as well as helps you learn some technical terms in Chinese. Possibly, you'll also learn to appreciate the beauty of the Chinese language.

For 报章报道, I memorized certain good phrases/sayings for each topic (eg education, ageing population) and thought of a few points.
Step 1: (the most important thing) answer the question at hand because 离题 -ing can do a lot of harm. Focus on giving a reasonable and logical argument.合理就可以了. You must sound 懂事 。Also, 审题, 审题, 再审题!This is especially because the topic they give you for O's can be quite unconventional at times.
Step 2: Make your essay outstanding by adding 好词好句. Try not to use too cliche sayings like 所谓:“冰层三尺,非一日之寒” 造成这种现象发生有这几个原因.. and don't go 第一...第二... It makes teachers cringe and numbering points makes your writing less 顺. Write like it's a 感想 and express your views. It is good if you can come up with some reasonable points of your own. Reading essays are good for learning more 好词好句 and learning how to structure sentences better (: Well that's what helped me and these are just some tips I have for you for essays!! All the best :-)

SavedbyGrace
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support