O levels in Music

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

O levels in Music

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi, any parents have children in O level Music to share ? Do your kids have any background in Music before choosing this subject ? If yes, what level, what instrument ? What is the advantage of taking O level Music ? Thanks ! :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:09 pm

I took MEP in S3 but dropped out.

I had Grade 3 piano practical, Grade 5 theory & Grade 6 guzheng. I also picked up the cello but did not take grading exams.

It's alot of theory. I did not enjoy it as I had to travel to another school to take it (at my time, the nearest school was TKGS). And there's alot to memorise, which I did not enjoy too. I love the practical part of music, not the theory part :p

I'm not too sure about the criteria now, but I know the standard is higher now. Saw my students struggling with "O" level music & was glad I did not 'force' my sis to take it.

It's best to get your girl to speak to seniors who are taking it, check out their textbook/notes and assignments. See if she really enjoys it :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby watmekiasu » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 pm

When my dd was doing her music exam, there was a friendly mom telling me about the MEP. Actually, I'd no idea what she was saying but what stayed with me was her comments about how challenging and time consuming it was. She didn't sound encouraging.

If one were to take up the MEP, does it mean you can drop a subject for your O levels?

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Spoke to dd's music teacher today and asked him about the MEP. He said as long as the student has true interest in music, it is not boring and difficult. Not much practical but lots on understanding, interpreting of music and etc but all taught in class.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: O levels in Music

Postby belle_116 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm reaching out to parents whose kids are taking Music as an O-level subject.

How was the program like? What is the time commitment like weekly? Is it true that you can use this to replace one of the Humanity subjects in O-level? Please share your child's experience.

Thank you.

belle_116
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support