Triple Sciences

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Triple Sciences

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi, my girl is thinking of taking triple Science when she goes to year 3. She is seriously thinking very hard because she is not good in Science. However, she feels that being expose to triple Science would give her a better idea if to continue selecting triple Science or not, which Science, when she chooses subjects again in year 5. We have heard how difficult triple Sciences are, morever she is more of a language person.

Any parents can share your story or comments ? Thanks :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby chengsmummy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Daisyt,

Thanks for creating this topic. I am also interested to know more about this. What are the pros and cons for choosing triple science?

chengsmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Triple Sciences

Postby Zann » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:40 am

daisyt wrote:Hi, my girl is thinking of taking triple Science when she goes to year 3. She is seriously thinking very hard because she is not good in Science. However, she feels that being expose to triple Science would give her a better idea if to continue selecting triple Science or not, which Science, when she chooses subjects again in year 5. We have heard how difficult triple Sciences are, morever she is more of a language person.

Any parents can share your story or comments ? Thanks :D

Hi daisyt, wonder what are the subjects combination like for Triple Sci in your school?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Triple Sciences

Postby James Ang » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:03 am

daisyt wrote:Hi, my girl is thinking of taking triple Science when she goes to year 3. She is seriously thinking very hard because she is not good in Science. However, she feels that being expose to triple Science would give her a better idea if to continue selecting triple Science or not, which Science, when she chooses subjects again in year 5. We have heard how difficult triple Sciences are, morever she is more of a language person.

Any parents can share your story or comments ? Thanks :D


I believe your girl is in Integrated Program, because you mentioned Year 5, so I am sure you are not talking about O levels. There is a difference in "strategy" depending on whether your girl is in IP or doing O levels.

Let's discuss a bit about O levels, the exam taken by Special/Express stream to get into JC using a criteria called L1R5. In L1R5, the student must include a first language (English or HMT) and a Humanity subject. If an O levels student chooses triple pure science, he/she will have only 1 humanity subject normally the combined humanities. The sole humanity subject will thus become the weakest link in the L1R5 score because it is compulsory to include the first language and humanity, no matter how good the triple science and double maths are (only 1 maths or science is compulsory for L1R5). Naturally, to mitigate the risk of getting a poor L1R5, the ideal O levels subject combination is double pure science, double maths (to learn as much maths and science as possible), double humanities (to mitigate poor humanity outcome) and double first language (to mitigate poor first language)

In the Integrated Program there is no such risk. I suggest that IP students learn triple pure science to gain more knowledge and build a strong foundation in science as well as increase future career options involving science including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, life science, even engineering! (many O levels students are actually avoiding Physics by choosing Pure Chem and Pure Bio double science combination, so how can they become an engineer if without a basic grasp of Physics? ).

My student from NYGHS recently graduated Year 4, with distinctions in triple science, she'll move on to HCI to do Year 5 and 6.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby Philosophical_Anarchist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 pm

Why don't you ask her what she wants to do in the future?

If she's not interested in the triple science stream, forcing her to take it might not be in her best interests.

Alternatively, she might perform better if she's studying something she likes.

Philosophical_Anarchist
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby daisyt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:09 am

Philosophical_Anarchist wrote:Why don't you ask her what she wants to do in the future?

If she's not interested in the triple science stream, forcing her to take it might not be in her best interests.

Alternatively, she might perform better if she's studying something she likes.


She still has no idea what she wants to do in the future yet. It is her who wants to try triple science for the reason as mentioned by James "to gain more knowledge and build a strong foundation in science as well as increase future career options". This is the same advice one of her seniors is giving her. She is in IP, hence in year 5, they have to choose the subjects combination again. Her idea is, by then, she can judge again if she would to continue triple Science, after taking for 2 years in year 3 and 4. Her main worry is, the promotion criteria for year 3 and 4 are more stringent, she is worried the difficulties of triple Science would pull her down, as I have mentioned, she is more of a language person.

Anymore comments or advices from parents with children strong in language but took or taking triple Science to share ? Thanks :D
Last edited by daisyt on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Triple Sciences

Postby daisyt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 am

Zann wrote:Hi daisyt, wonder what are the subjects combination like for Triple Sci in your school?


For year 3 & 4, I think its Biomedical Science, Physic and Chemistry.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Triple Sciences

Postby daisyt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

James Ang wrote:In the Integrated Program there is no such risk. I suggest that IP students learn triple pure science to gain more knowledge and build a strong foundation in science as well as increase future career options involving science including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, life science, even engineering! (many O levels students are actually avoiding Physics by choosing Pure Chem and Pure Bio double science combination, so how can they become an engineer if without a basic grasp of Physics? ).


Thanks James. Your advice sounds resonable. I would feedback to my girl. Thanks again ! :D

BTW, do you have students strong in humantities but yet still take triple Science ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Triple Sciences

Postby david59 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 am

James Ang wrote:I believe your girl is in Integrated Program, because you mentioned Year 5, so I am sure you are not talking about O levels. There is a difference in "strategy" depending on whether your girl is in IP or doing O levels.

Let's discuss a bit about O levels, the exam taken by Special/Express stream to get into JC using a criteria called L1R5. In L1R5, the student must include a first language (English or HMT) and a Humanity subject. If an O levels student chooses triple pure science, he/she will have only 1 humanity subject normally the combined humanities. The sole humanity subject will thus become the weakest link in the L1R5 score because it is compulsory to include the first language and humanity, no matter how good the triple science and double maths are (only 1 maths or science is compulsory for L1R5). Naturally, to mitigate the risk of getting a poor L1R5, the ideal O levels subject combination is double pure science, double maths (to learn as much maths and science as possible), double humanities (to mitigate poor humanity outcome) and double first language (to mitigate poor first language)

In the Integrated Program there is no such risk. I suggest that IP students learn triple pure science to gain more knowledge and build a strong foundation in science as well as increase future career options involving science including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, life science, even engineering! (many O levels students are actually avoiding Physics by choosing Pure Chem and Pure Bio double science combination, so how can they become an engineer if without a basic grasp of Physics? ).

My student from NYGHS recently graduated Year 4, with distinctions in triple science, she'll move on to HCI to do Year 5 and 6.


Maybe I can just contribute a little of my daughter's experience in this Triple Science thingy.

We made a huge mistake when we chose Anderson Secondary School for our elder girl after her PSLE. She was clearly very gifted in languages in Primary; especially English but she struggled to do well in Mathematics in Secondary. When it came to streaming in Sec 3, we realised to our horror that because Anderson Sec stresses hugely in the Life Science, there was only one class for the Art Stream. In the end, she had to struggle in the Add. Maths n Physic ( she dropped out of Physic eventually) in the Triple Science Stream through "O" level.
However, when it was decision time to choose Arts or Science in JC, our daughter made up her mind to go Arts even though Science Stream is the more prestigious in the eyes of most students and parents. We gladly affirmed her decision and it was the right choice bcos she just cruises along all the way to Uni. and doing excellently, reading English Literature.

Hope this little contri. is of some help. :?

david59
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:19 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby csc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Maybe I can just contribute a little of my daughter's experience in this Triple Science thingy.

We made a huge mistake when we chose Anderson Secondary School for our elder girl after her PSLE. She was clearly very gifted in languages in Primary; especially English but she struggled to do well in Mathematics in Secondary. When it came to streaming in Sec 3, we realised to our horror that because Anderson Sec stresses hugely in the Life Science, there was only one class for the Art Stream. In the end, she had to struggle in the Add. Maths n Physic ( she dropped out of Physic eventually) in the Triple Science Stream through "O" level.
However, when it was decision time to choose Arts or Science in JC, our daughter made up her mind to go Arts even though Science Stream is the more prestigious in the eyes of most students and parents. We gladly affirmed her decision and it was the right choice bcos she just cruises along all the way to Uni. and doing excellently, reading English Literature.

Hope this little contri. is of some help.



Thanks, David. Your contribution is of great help.

Interest plays a great part in the subject combination. Both my kids have no interest in Science - and I doubt they ever will.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 4


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support