Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby mathtuition88 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

The transition from Primary to Secondary can be quite a big jump. Parents and students can consider the following factors when considering whether to have tuition:

- understanding: Does the student understand what the teacher is teaching in school?
- performance (percentile/marks) in key exams: Percentile is sometimes a better gauge than marks of how the student is faring. Low marks may indicate very tough paper rather than any weakness of the student.
- quality of teachers: Ask your child if he feels the teacher is teaching well. If no, some urgent action is needed, be it self-revision from books or tuition.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

mathtuition88 wrote:- performance (percentile/marks) in key exams: Percentile is sometimes a better gauge than marks of how the student is faring. Low marks may indicate very tough paper rather than any weakness of the student.

Only true when it is low marks. DS has one subject in which he got 3.6 in GPA but it put him in the bottom 20% of the cohort for that subject. :roll:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I always look at median marks

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ThinkEnglish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Tuition will be more beneficial to students who struggle in certain subjects, and certainly not a must have for all subjects. Should the child have tuition in all/most subjects, it might even lead to a crutch mentality where the child feels that he or she does not need to pay attention during lessons as the tutor can always be depended on for help after school. It will be good to speak to the form teachers when the exam results are out for any strategies to help the child.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Russell mok » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 pm

It really depends on the student him/her self, some students find it a struggle coping with the increase in difficulty in some of the topics however some students are able to grasp the concepts easily and also are independent learners:) U can let the student study on his/her own for awhile and monitor the situation

Russell mok
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby skchiu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:25 am

as long as the student is not failing, should not be necessary, in sec 1 they don't have much attention span, so tuition would not be recommended

skchiu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mummyxoxo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:41 pm

When my dd1 was in sec 1, I let her try and get used to the sec sch curriculum for 1/2 a year first before considering if tuition is necessary.

mummyxoxo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am

skchiu wrote:as long as the student is not failing, should not be necessary, in sec 1 they don't have much attention span, so tuition would not be recommended

if the student is not failing, then tuition can hold back...besides, there are 7-8 subjects excluding CCA. so secondary 1 students may need time to rest and get homework done.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Specialkids » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am

I just made sure that my son keeps up to his homework schedule. By Sec Three, I let go and let him autopilot. He learnt a good lesson not studying the 5th subject well. I gave him chinese tuition - he still flopped. He had his cousin coach him in T3 in the Arts - which I stopped when he didn't do her assignments.

He ended up in ITE Nitec but studied hard and won 2 Edusave awards in 1 year. He is likely to skip year 1 in Higher Nitec. We have learnt to discuss issues and choices, and he too thinks that the year in HNitec will be good even if his GPA allows him to go direct into poly.

The big joke is that friends of his went to Sec 5, but he will be on par with them next year as he is likely to do well enough to skip yr 1 in HNitec.

The keys to success:
Helping our kids make their own decisions
Allowing them to fail but be there for them to cry on our shoulders
Be their sounding board
Allow them to stand on their own two feet
Know your child's present capabilities and potential well - it's a race against himself and not others

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Previous

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support