LEARNConcierge

Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby janet88 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:
janet88 wrote:english tuition is helpful as it is a different syllabus from primary 6.
my daughter will resume english tuition next month.

Hi janet88
.
Hope the PSLE went well for your daughter.

Yes, it sometimes comes as a bit of a shock to many Sec 1 students how difficult English is. Interpreting the use of language for impact and summary writing tend to be particularly disliked.

just thinking of it gives me a headache.
although we have done what we can, there is still a worry not knowing how she did and where she can go.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38951
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 124


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 pm

janet88 wrote:just thinking of it gives me a headache.
although we have done what we can, there is still a worry not knowing how she did and where she can go.

I am reminded of the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Anyway, reading through your posts during the past year, I have gained the impression that there are few parents as attentive and involved in their child's well-being and education as you. Kudos to you! :rahrah:

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm
Total Likes: 20
1 people like this post


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:24 am

nansk wrote:We cannot compare the schools, obviously. I am interested to learn more about the IP curriculum and to what depth the topics are taught. Unlike high schools in other countries, there is no detailed curriculum info on Singapore IP schools' web sites.

Is there really an "impression of more depth" or do they really teach in more depth which also prepare the students for the A-levels? I mean, if a P1 student understood and practiced fraction arithmetic, that student would also be prepared for the P1 Maths exam.

I can only speak for 1 IP school, the one my daughter was in, and they do have a curriculum, but it's on the school internal website, not for public view. Whether there is an intention not to make it public or simply that they never thought of it, I don't know.

I can't compare what my daughter studied with 'O' level, but I am happy with what she did, and I think it was at an appropriate level for her ablities. In any case, for language studies, I feel that general reading comprehension, writing, thinking etc matters more than specific exam requirements. In general, my daughter was told that the IP curriculum up to Yr4 covers more than 'O' level, but by no means a lot of the 'A' level material. And for something like a language, "depth" is so subjective that it would be hard to define. By the time they get to the last 2 yrs, they are preparing for the same exam as all the others who went through the 'O' level route.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10321
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 195


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby janet88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:06 am

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:I am reminded of the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Anyway, reading through your posts during the past year, I have gained the impression that there are few parents as attentive and involved in their child's well-being and education as you. Kudos to you! :rahrah:

although i am not a christian, the words do make lots of sense. thank you.
i have to learn to accept since i cannot change, but that sure needs lots of courage.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38951
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 124


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby nansk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:02 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I can only speak for 1 IP school, the one my daughter was in, and they do have a curriculum, but it's on the school internal website, not for public view. Whether there is an intention not to make it public or simply that they never thought of it, I don't know.

Yes, I expect that is it.
slmkhoo wrote: for language studies, I feel that general reading comprehension, writing, thinking etc matters more than specific exam requirements. In general, my daughter was told that the IP curriculum up to Yr4 covers more than 'O' level, but by no means a lot of the 'A' level material.

Thank you for sharing your experience. :)

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm
Total Likes: 9



Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby precioustime96 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

I believe tuition is only necessary when the school teacher fails to do his/her job well. Otherwise, please consult your children on the matter and do not force tuition on them.

precioustime96
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby janet88 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 am

precioustime96 wrote:I believe tuition is only necessary when the school teacher fails to do his/her job well. Otherwise, please consult your children on the matter and do not force tuition on them.

for my son who was in a neighbourhood secondary school then, his teachers (except english sec 1-4 & biology in upper sec) taught reasonably well. for daughter in sec 1 this year, she does need help for her english. so her tuition resumed 3 weeks after her psle. other than that, i am fortunate to have son and hubby to help coach her for most of the subjects.

it sounds harsh to say 'school teacher fails to do his/her job well' but it is quite true. if not because of son's biology teacher who is always MIA and fails to deliver her responsibility compared to the other biology teacher who teaches the top class, my son would not have required tuition.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38951
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 124


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby siling » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 am

janet88 wrote:
precioustime96 wrote:I believe tuition is only necessary when the school teacher fails to do his/her job well. Otherwise, please consult your children on the matter and do not force tuition on them.

for my son who was in a neighbourhood secondary school then, his teachers (except english sec 1-4 & biology in upper sec) taught reasonably well. for daughter in sec 1 this year, she does need help for her english. so her tuition resumed 3 weeks after her psle. other than that, i am fortunate to have son and hubby to help coach her for most of the subjects.

it sounds harsh to say 'school teacher fails to do his/her job well' but it is quite true. if not because of son's biology teacher who is always MIA and fails to deliver her responsibility compared to the other biology teacher who teaches the top class, my son would not have required tuition.


How is the age gap between your son and your daughter?
It is not easy for a sibling to coach a student. you are lucky!!

siling
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:40 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

They are 4 years apart...well almost 5, since son is January and daughter is November. She tends to bully father but doesn't dare to try the same stunt with him.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38951
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 124


Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby Mr Chong » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

The chapters tested in Sec 1 vary differently as compared to the chapters tested in upper secondary. Because of that, it is not necessary for having tuition in Sec 1. However, if a student tends to fail almost all subjects (preferably lets say more than 3-4), I recommend that tuition is required. This is to help the student to buck up. If the student shows signs of drastic improvement in those particular subjects, tuition can be forgo.

Mr Chong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge