Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Is tuition absolutely needed from Sec 1?

Postby passioninlearning » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:51 pm

There will be significant change for various subjects when students transit from Primary 6 to Sec 1. Some changes include:

1) English: writing style differs, and in secondary schools, there is some assumption that students have sound basics in command of language. From what i gathered for recent batches of students, for a grade of B in PSLE, it is considerably hard to attain a pass without significant effort toward improvement.

2) Maths: transit from model based, to algebra based. Considering the weightage of algebra (about 10%) in PSLE, students often encounter some challenges in trying to convert towards algebra, more so with a time constraint due to hectic secondary school schedule.

3) Science: contents will be much heavier as compared to primary schools.

I often share with my learners that in secondary schools, the learning attitude need to adjust a bit towards "accept first, then understand". This will help accelerate their learning. A post on "how to learn" is written in the link:

https://passioninlearning.wordpress.com ... ant-posts/

Tuition may or may not be necessary, depending on parents' and students' expectations. However, the thing to note is that, it is not possible to have tuition for more than 4 subjects, as secondary school tuition is not cheap.

Feel free to contact me if you have any question, no necessarily for lessons. :)

Regards,
Eric
passioninlearning.wordpress.com
Last edited by passioninlearning on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

passioninlearning
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:50 pm

cherrygal wrote:Check with the parents with experience here... is it wise to let the child try every subject without tuition for the first 6 months of Sec 1? We wanted to gauge the standard before jumping into tuition.

Some friends have said that secondary math is easier than P6... English and humanities subjects are not easy to score. However, they also advised that kids won't have much time to go for too many tuition sessions either due to CCA and group projects.

Are we silly not to sign up now? Appreciate any advice.

I am in the "no-tuition-unless-necessary" camp. If a child is weak and needs support, and no other help is available, then by all means get tuition. But I would want to see the child try to learn on his own, read up, seek help from teachers and parents etc, and if that doesn't work, then go for tuition. If not, tuition can just be a waste of time and money, and can breed reliance (which is bad in the long run).

My own kids would have had tuition in MT if they weren't exempted as we don't speak it at home, and we can't help with that. For all other subjects, we have been able to help our kids on a "as needed" basis when they ask, but we have never sat them down for x hrs a week to make sure they study or coach them. My older girl is not a strong student, and could have done better with tuition, I suppose, but she is also physically and emotionally not able to take pressure. So we have gone easy on her. The younger one has always done well (in JC1 now) and has always been very independent in studying. I know that one example doesn't prove the rule, but she is one who has not had tuition and done well.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TWS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 pm

English tuition is definitely helpful. But do take care to differentiate centres some of which focus on IP english or on O level english. IP English course will introduce language art into the curriculum which will help the students get used to GP when they reached JC. So do take your time to look around for the suitable courses for your kids.

TWS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby TWS » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Think MOE is organizing a parent seminar regarding transition to Secondary School education on 12 Nov 2016. Not sure whether is it fully subscribed. Interested parents may want to find out more.

TWS
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

TWS wrote:English tuition is definitely helpful. But do take care to differentiate centres some of which focus on IP english or on O level english. IP English course will introduce language art into the curriculum which will help the students get used to GP when they reached JC. So do take your time to look around for the suitable courses for your kids.

Thanks! You've just answered what's on my mind... :smile: guess I'll hold off the tuition registration till after S1 posting.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 pm

How about IP Higher Chinese versus O Level track Higher Chinese? Any big difference?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:55 pm

cherrygal wrote:How about IP Higher Chinese versus O Level track Higher Chinese? Any big difference?

IP Higher Chinese students take the same exam as O level Higher Chinese students.

So I believe it shld be the same. But IP students have an advantage over O level students becos they only have 1 subject to tackle vs O level students who have 7 other subjects to study when they take Higher Chinese at the same sitting in Nov.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:02 pm

For IP are there tuition centers that teach English and Literature together in 1 session for lower Sec? Could be alternate week or 50-50 each week.

No demand? Hardly come cross one.
Most only standalone English but too geared towards O level English which is not so applicable to IP syllabus.

Even if there is English and Literature combined, the literature texts are different for different IP schools, how do tuition centers go around this?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Thank you for your detailed reply! :)

Schootopia wrote:The baseline is higher. Expectations are higher.

Yes, of course. This is the key factor that differentiates what is taught in IP schools v/s regular Express stream.

Schootopia wrote:If you compare IP schools to "neighbouring" schools, you are really comparing schools with different entry scores, students with different learning abilities.

An IP teacher prepares his students for the A-Levels. He is not limited to preparing students for the O-Levels. Perhaps some IP teachers go beyond the O-Level standards before Year 5/6, giving the impression of "more depth" for these topics ?

We cannot compare the schools, obviously. I am interested to learn more about the IP curriculum and to what depth the topics are taught. Unlike high schools in other countries, there is no detailed curriculum info on Singapore IP schools' web sites.

Is there really an "impression of more depth" or do they really teach in more depth which also prepare the students for the A-levels? I mean, if a P1 student understood and practiced fraction arithmetic, that student would also be prepared for the P1 Maths exam.

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nansk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:12 pm

sleepy wrote:Most only standalone English but too geared towards O level English which is not so applicable to IP syllabus.

Even if there is English and Literature combined, the literature texts are different for different IP schools, how do tuition centers go around this?

Good question.
I cannot imagine how tuition centers can teach the specific lit texts of various IP schools.
For English, I'd say the core skills will be the same - good grammar/editing skills, critical reading, interpretation and inference, different types of expository writing - regardless of which IP school the tutee is from.

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support