Recommendation for IP School

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Recommendation for IP School

Postby cindy.ksw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Dear All

I have a niece who scored 263 for her PSLE. She was offered scholarship to IP school and now is in a dilemna on the choice of IP school that she should go.
We are considering Nanyang girls or Raffles Girls. Can someone tell us something more about the two schools...and which school is better.
I heard Nanyang girls is similar to Dunman high where they placed alot of emphasis on Chinese, where Raffles is more of a all rounder.
Appreciate advice from parents, teachers...

cindy.ksw
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Recommendation for IP School

Postby micko07 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:35 pm

cindy.ksw wrote:Dear All

I have a niece who scored 263 for her PSLE. She was offered scholarship to IP school and now is in a dilemna on the choice of IP school that she should go.
We are considering Nanyang girls or Raffles Girls. Can someone tell us something more about the two schools...and which school is better.
I heard Nanyang girls is similar to Dunman high where they placed alot of emphasis on Chinese, where Raffles is more of a all rounder.

I think ultimately it depends on what your niece prefers. Both schools are excellent choices, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As a Nanyang alumnus, I'm obviously biased in favour of my alma mater. I will always be grateful for the opportunities I received, and personally, I would say that the emphasis on Chinese is a good thing. It was easily my weakest subject, but being forced to take classes every day did mean that I do have a passable command of the language at least today. Being bilingual, apart from allowing one to get in touch with your cultural roots, is also a great asset for job prospects in the future. Language abilities are generally valuable to employers, especially those with business in China/ greater China, and a deeper insight into Chinese culture can only be an advantage.

I don't think it's appropriate to characterize Raffles as producing all-rounders and Nanyang as producing girls who are good at Chinese/ rooted in Chinese culture. You get outstanding all-rounders in both schools. You also (occasionally) get the odd Rafflesian who is amazingly bilingual. Stereotypes that Nanyang girls are "cheena" is also outdated and utter nonsense. Having a thorough grounding in Chinese culture is not equivalent to being cheena; I am probably the best example of someone who is blatantly un-cheena.

I suspect the difference might lie in school culture. Obviously, I've graduated some time ago but Nanyang has been known for its warm, supportive and collegiate culture. It tends to favour an "all grow together" approach, which makes for a lovely environment because people believe in working together to achieve excellence (this was also true of my experience in Hwa Chong incidentally - people are generally very happy to share notes and help each other out). I can't (and won't) comment on Rafflesian culture, but I will happily vouch for Nanyang's.

I don't know if there are any more open days (if there are, encourage your niece to visit!), but I strongly suggest posting on the respective school threads - parents and current girls might be able to give you better advice.

Cheers! :smile:

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Recommendation for IP School

Postby BangalterLahPlz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 pm

micko07 wrote:
cindy.ksw wrote:Dear All

I think ultimately it depends on what your niece prefers. Both schools are excellent choices, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As a Nanyang alumnus, I'm obviously biased in favour of my alma mater. I will always be grateful for the opportunities I received, and personally, I would say that the emphasis on Chinese is a good thing. It was easily my weakest subject, but being forced to take classes every day did mean that I do have a passable command of the language at least today. Being bilingual, apart from allowing one to get in touch with your cultural roots, is also a great asset for job prospects in the future. Language abilities are generally valuable to employers, especially those with business in China/ greater China, and a deeper insight into Chinese culture can only be an advantage.

I don't think it's appropriate to characterize Raffles as producing all-rounders and Nanyang as producing girls who are good at Chinese/ rooted in Chinese culture. You get outstanding all-rounders in both schools. You also (occasionally) get the odd Rafflesian who is amazingly bilingual. Stereotypes that Nanyang girls are "cheena" is also outdated and utter nonsense. Having a thorough grounding in Chinese culture is not equivalent to being cheena; I am probably the best example of someone who is blatantly un-cheena.

I suspect the difference might lie in school culture. Obviously, I've graduated some time ago but Nanyang has been known for its warm, supportive and collegiate culture. It tends to favour an "all grow together" approach, which makes for a lovely environment because people believe in working together to achieve excellence (this was also true of my experience in Hwa Chong incidentally - people are generally very happy to share notes and help each other out). I can't (and won't) comment on Rafflesian culture, but I will happily vouch for Nanyang's.

I don't know if there are any more open days (if there are, encourage your niece to visit!), but I strongly suggest posting on the respective school threads - parents and current girls might be able to give you better advice.

Cheers! :smile:

Agreed :) Since her score can probably go into both schools it depends on what she prefers...

BangalterLahPlz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support