Subject selection in Secondary / Marking system at O level

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Subject selection in Secondary / Marking system at O level

Postby myangels » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi

I would appreciate if anyone could explain how subject selection works in Secondary as I am clueless rite now and more confused with people giving me their own versions...need some guidance here.

Thanks a lot

myangels
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Subject selection in Secondary / Marking system at O lev

Postby zbear » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 am

Why don't you list down the questions or areas that make you confused?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby myangels » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I wish to understand how subject combinations are selected.

I just know that it depends on whether the child prefers maths, Science or Humanities. However, I need to know how the combinations works for each.

Also, at O levels, what is the marking system. e.g 5 points, 6 points some say 9 points, 15 points...no idea at all what all this means.

Thanks a ton....

myangels
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

myangels wrote:I wish to understand how subject combinations are selected.

I just know that it depends on whether the child prefers maths, Science or Humanities. However, I need to know how the combinations works for each.

Also, at O levels, what is the marking system. e.g 5 points, 6 points some say 9 points, 15 points...no idea at all what all this means.

Thanks a ton....

O levels if you're planning to go JC, it will be counting L1R5. L1 can use either English OR Higher Chinese. R5 will have to include at least 1 math OR science + 1 humanities. The other 3 subjects can be math/science/humans but not CCA. Eg. Someone who gets A1 for english, biology, chemistry, combined humanities, emath and amath would have an L1R5 of 6 (perfect raw score). Even if the same person took physics and eg. got a B3, she/he would still have 6 because they count your best 5 relevant subjects along with english. If going poly, it's L1R4 instead, but this time can include cca. Also for JC the most number of points you can get is 20 to be accepted. Once you get 21 raw, even with 2 bonus points no JC will take you.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby myangels » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Skyed wrote:

Thanks a ton....

O levels if you're planning to go JC, it will be counting L1R5. L1 can use either English OR Higher Chinese. R5 will have to include at least 1 math OR science + 1 humanities. The other 3 subjects can be math/science/humans but not CCA. Eg. Someone who gets A1 for english, biology, chemistry, combined humanities, emath and amath would have an L1R5 of 6 (perfect raw score). Even if the same person took physics and eg. got a B3, she/he would still have 6 because they count your best 5 relevant subjects along with english. If going poly, it's L1R4 instead, but this time can include cca. Also for JC the most number of points you can get is 20 to be accepted. Once you get 21 raw, even with 2 bonus points no JC will take you.

Thanks lot for the detailed explanation. Really appreciate it. Now am getting a clearer picture...

Thanks again.

myangels
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ksfaith » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Skyed wrote:

Thanks a ton....

Hi, just to check with you, for admission to JC can cca point decducted?
L1 meaning either English or higher Chinese, then how about Chinese? Can it be consider as L1?

ksfaith
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 pm

ksfaith wrote:
Skyed wrote:

Thanks a ton....

Hi, just to check with you, for admission to JC can cca point decducted?
L1 meaning either English or higher Chinese, then how about Chinese? Can it be consider as L1?

Yes, CCA bonus points can be used for JAE. L1 is only for English or HMT. MT cannot be used as L1.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support