2014 Sec 2 Discussions

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

2014 Sec 2 Discussions

Postby 33mama » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Original Title: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Dear Parents,

Is there a website where I can find out which schools has combined Science in Sec 3 Express?

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby WhiZland_HG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Parent,

I believe that most secondary school has combined science, just whether if it is a combination of Phy/Chem, or Chem / Bio, or Phy/Bio. Information is in the book which your child will receive upon the release of their PSLE results.

Hope it helps.

WhiZland_HG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby 33mama » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 pm

WhiZland_HG wrote:Hi Parent,

I believe that most secondary school has combined science, just whether if it is a combination of Phy/Chem, or Chem / Bio, or Phy/Bio. Information is in the book which your child will receive upon the release of their PSLE results.

Hope it helps.

Hi WhiZland_HG,

Thanks for the response.
As far as I know, not all schools has combined science for Express class... If I'm not wrong, Commonwealth Express, Nan Hua?, Crescent? offers only pure science classes.

Indeed the book indicates whether the school offers combined science as a subject... but... it could be offered only to NA or NT and not Express...

As such, I would like to find out which schools has combined Science for Express.. :smile:

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby WhiZland_HG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 pm

33mama wrote:
WhiZland_HG wrote:Hi Parent,

I believe that most secondary school has combined science, just whether if it is a combination of Phy/Chem, or Chem / Bio, or Phy/Bio. Information is in the book which your child will receive upon the release of their PSLE results.

Hope it helps.

Hi WhiZland_HG,

Thanks for the response.
As far as I know, not all schools has combined science for Express class... If I'm not wrong, Commonwealth Express, Nan Hua?, Crescent? offers only pure science classes.

Indeed the book indicates whether the school offers combined science as a subject... but... it could be offered only to NA or NT and not Express...

As such, I would like to find out which schools has combined Science for Express.. :smile:


As of now, i'm not sure if there's anywhere we can find such information. So sorry that i'm not able to help. Hope other mummies are able to help.

WhiZland_HG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby koguma » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

I don't think such information is available anywhere, unless you go to individual school's website and look at the class timetable. But I believe most neighbourhood schools will offer Combined Science and Pure Sciences.

Usually SAP schools and schools with lowest COP above 235 will offer Pure Sciences only. However they have different ways of
handling students who are weak in Sciences.

1) Some schools may open one Combined Science class for students who are weak in Sciences during Sec 1 & 2.

2) Some schools will offer 2 or 3 Pure Sciences to all students. However if their sec 3 (or sec 4) results prove that the students cannot cope with Pure Sciences, the students will either

a) drop to one Pure Science or
b) change to Combined Science

However if the student is doing Pure Chem and Pure Bio, and there is no combined science (Chem/Bio) class in the school, the student will drop one Pure Sci (my niece's example).

3) Some schools will offer only 1 Pure Science to the students who are weak in Sciences during Sec 1 & 2.

Hence it is best for you to check with the schools what are their current arrangement.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby Kimiya_Learning_Place » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Any reason why you are specially looking for schools that offer combine science in express?

Cause with our experience of tutoring science, the difference in syllabus between combine science and pure science is not that great.

Kimiya_Learning_Place
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby 33mama » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Kimiya_Learning_Place wrote:Any reason why you are specially looking for schools that offer combine science in express?

Cause with our experience of tutoring science, the difference in syllabus between combine science and pure science is not that great.

more practical reason... seems easier to score on the bell curve as most prob my DS will be aiming for poly.

33mama
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: Which school has combined Science in Sec3 Exp?

Postby koguma » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 am

33mama wrote:
Kimiya_Learning_Place wrote:Any reason why you are specially looking for schools that offer combine science in express?

Cause with our experience of tutoring science, the difference in syllabus between combine science and pure science is not that great.

more practical reason... seems easier to score on the bell curve as most prob my DS will be aiming for poly.


It may not be easy to score in combined science.
Although each contribute 50%, but if the student scored 40% in one paper and 20% in the other, it still end up 60% which is a B4. The student must do well in both papers to get a A1 or A2.

This is the same as combined humanities. Students are often pull down by on subject despite doing well in the other.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Total Likes: 1


Subject Combination in JC

Postby zbear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 pm

I noticed that for JCs, the L1R5 for JAE admission is grouped to either Science or Arts.

May I know what subjects fall under Science n Arts? What if you want to take half Science/half Arts, do all JCs have such combi or is it strictly Science or Arts.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4990
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 64


Re: Subject Combination in JC

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Riding on this thread, may I ask would O level students be able (provided grades ok) to enter HCI, RV, RI etc which offer IP programmes?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10126
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 am
Total Likes: 23


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support