Is Motivation talks/camp effective?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Is Motivation talks/camp effective?

Postby vlim » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi there are a few company organising motivation talks or camp for children. Wondering is it effective and does its motivation on kids last long? Does it worth the money ?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Yah... I wonder too. My nephews are attending Adam Khoo's camp this dec. $2448 each. :shock:

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:00 pm

my nieces also attended before...immediately after it their parents said they are very motivated...but I doubt this type of motivation will last long....and is so xxxx..so need feedback from those parents who had send their kids to this type of talks/camp before...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:08 pm

My nephews are P5 and P3 respectively. For the P5, my sil was like.... she is willing to try anything to see if it works that since she don't have much choice as my nephew is bochap and PSLE is next year.

But I would like to see their outcome.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:24 pm

MMM wrote:Yah... I wonder too. My nephews are attending Adam Khoo's camp this dec. $2448 each. :shock:

My office is near Adam Khoo. I have passed by his "camp" and inside this room, where the training is, its empty inside, except a block of long wood and some papers.

Nowadays in Secondary school, there are orientations, camps every year, to help the kids to build up rapport and relationship with their classmates, CCA mates and councellors. These camps are very motivating and fun. Certain camps are free, certain camps just need to pay a nominal fee. They even go to outward bound and Malaysia for year 2 and 3. There are camps self organised (by student councellors) and there are camps outsourced to private company.

In my dd's sec school, they have camps for class, CCA, student councellors, peer support group. For a very minimum case, you can expect 2 camps per year (it can be staying overnight or non).

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Actually have a friend who is a sec school teacher. They engaged him before and she personally felt that it's not worth the $. Too much rah rah but wonder effective or not.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm

MMM wrote:Actually have a friend who is a sec school teacher. They engaged him before and she personally felt that it's not worth the $. Too much rah rah but wonder effective or not.

Lucky my dd's sec school is not engaging him. Hahaha ... :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:06 pm

vlim wrote:my nieces also attended before...immediately after it their parents said they are very motivated...but I doubt this type of motivation will last long....and is so xxxx..so need feedback from those parents who had send their kids to this type of talks/camp before...

My colleague's 2 sons went to one. Saw a big change in 1st son (Sec 2) after camp. More helpful and exam results also better. Lasted about 9 months. 2nd son (P6)...slight change only. Both back to pre-camp behavior now...I think parents got to consider "maturity" level of their kids too if they want to sign up.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DadOfGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:42 pm

vlim wrote:my nieces also attended before...immediately after it their parents said they are very motivated...but I doubt this type of motivation will last long....and is so xxxx..so need feedback from those parents who had send their kids to this type of talks/camp before...

MindChamp is quite effective. By coincidance , we sign up for 4 month course-Springboaard to success ( running every sunday$ 2700 ) in the second half of the P4. She looked forward to going to class every sunday... Year end streaming jumped her to one class.. Since then she maintain performance..& remained in second best class till this year P6.

All three exam in P6 quite impresssive , until this years maths paper..Waiting for results :pray:

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

I think it depends on the level of maturity to do it.

Eg. my P5 nephew who is going for Adam Khoo's camp. He did the mindchamp at P2 and there was no result at all. I think my sil also paid thousands of dollars.

The results probably differs by individual kid. After all, each of us have different motivational needs.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support