Secondary School Third Languages

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
blessmum4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Post by blessmum4 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Anyone likes to have this set of Japanese book for those taking 3 Lang?

PopularTutors
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by PopularTutors » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 pm

The son of one of our friends studies at RI and he is taking Malay as a third language. Enjoying it quite a bit!

What The
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Post by What The » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
Cassiopeia_Ryssa wrote:Thank you! I'm trying to convince DD to take third lang. Is there any advantages to taking it, other than learning a new language>
In some schools, 3rd Lang's GPA can replace another subject's GPA.
Depending on schools, the kids can choose whether to include 3rd Lang in the msg.

ILOVEpasta1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ILOVEpasta1234 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 pm

I’m not sure if the results if this affects all schools, but does the results of third language exams affect overall marks THAT much? Friend skipped it entirely and is now worried. Thank you in advance!

ILOVEpasta1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ILOVEpasta1234 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 pm

I’m not sure if the results if this affects all schools, but does the results of third language exams affect overall marks THAT much? Friend skipped it entirely and is now worried. Thank you in advance!

ILOVEpasta1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ILOVEpasta1234 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 pm

I’m not sure if this affects all schools, but does the results of third language exams affect overall marks THAT much? Friend skipped it entirely and is now worried. Thank you in advance!

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:84

Post by ngl2010 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 pm

ILOVEpasta1234 wrote:I’m not sure if this affects all schools, but does the results of third language exams affect overall marks THAT much? Friend skipped it entirely and is now worried. Thank you in advance!
Depend on each school.

It is better if your friend drop the 3rd language rather than have a Fail recorded in the report book.

amandatan12
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by amandatan12 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 pm

When you're submitting your choice of secondary schools on the MOE portal, if you've scored 250 or more (approx top 10% of the cohort), you'll be given the option to choose a third language (if I'm not wrong). A total of eight Third Languages are offered. They're the Malay (Special Programme), Chinese (Special Programme), Bahasa Indonesia, Arabic, French, German, Japanese and Spanish. Eligible pupils who are successfully admitted via the DSA-Sec Exercise must also apply for Third Language(s) during the S1 Option Exercise if they wish to take up a Third Language. You can find more information here: https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/second ... programmes
All the best!! :smile:

Arrmanas
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Arrmanas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:58 am

My dd is only offered 2 Asian Languages .... Chinese or Arabic.

Is there any possibility of requesting other 3rd Language such as French or German?
What is the process/procedure of such request?

Thank You.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:295

Post by phtthp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 am

For students who scored 252 & above, they are given the option, to learn 3rd (foreign) language.

If choose the wrong 3rd (foreign) language, can students request for a change of 3rd language, after trying out just one Term, in Sec 1 ?

Example

If after tried out Japanese for Sec 1 Term 1, find it hard to cope, can request to change quickly to Spanish instead, in Term 2 ?

( After all, only missed 1 Term of Spanish lesson)