LEARNConcierge

Secondary School Third Languages

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby bluemom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks jedamum

bluemom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:09 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby ralphrex » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Just curious, because I think it'll be interesting to pick up a new language in secondary level. However, just scared it won't be useful in the future as we don't really have relatives in overseas countries etc. Anyone have similar experience to share if it's worth it?

ralphrex
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:20 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby JJ_chua » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I chose MSP for DS as it is conducted inhouse.Saves him the travelling time.

JJ_chua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby skyvelvet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:19 am

hi,
I chose MSP for my son too for next yr sec1.
anyone can advice the national passing rate for MSP at O levels?

where can I getthe information from?
thanks

skyvelvet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby phtthp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Some students drop out at either end of Sec 1 or Sec 2, because the results of 3rd language are computed into the overall Total year end results.

So if don't do well in 3rd language (e.g. Border line passing cases) will impact the Total overall, at year end

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15813
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 82



Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby CMF » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 pm

If choice of 3rd lang is based on interest in the lang, that will go a long way in sustaining it. Acquiring competency in another lang is always good. Also in most schs, it's an added option to use (good) scores in place of another Humanities subject in calculation of overall results.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:08 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby ky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:23 am

Hi ,

When will know whether my ds get the 3rd language he has selected?

ky
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby MyBaby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:17 am

ky wrote:Hi ,

When will know whether my ds get the 3rd language he has selected?


Your child will receive the option form which will indicate the outcome of his 3rd language when he/she reports to his assigned secondary school tomorrow. Then he/she will need to exercise the option and go to MOELC to register and buy books. Usually, it is on 30 Dec.

If your child did not get the 3rd language that he/she wants, you can go to MOELC to fill in an appeal form to transfer or to be put on waitlist.

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:19 am
Total Likes: 1


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:57 pm

phtthp wrote:Some students drop out at either end of Sec 1 or Sec 2, because the results of 3rd language are computed into the overall Total year end results.

So if don't do well in 3rd language (e.g. Border line passing cases) will impact the Total overall, at year end

It depends on each school. In DS's school, the 3rd Lang can replace a humanities subject in Year 1 and 2 if the 3rd Lang has a better grade. If the 3rd Lang's grade is not better than humanities subjects' grades, the 3rd Lang won't be counted in the overall year end results.

In Year 3 and 4, it is similar but can replace science or humanities subject (depends on the subject combination taken). If not doing well in 3rd Lang, then 3rd Lang's grade will not be considered for overall year end results. So, the students' grades will never be negatively affected by taking 3rd Lang. :smile:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6830
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 77


Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby nicnac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:13 pm

MyBaby wrote:
ky wrote:Hi ,

When will know whether my ds get the 3rd language he has selected?


Your child will receive the option form which will indicate the outcome of his 3rd language when he/she reports to his assigned secondary school tomorrow. Then he/she will need to exercise the option and go to MOELC to register and buy books. Usually, it is on 30 Dec.

If your child did not get the 3rd language that he/she wants, you can go to MOELC to fill in an appeal form to transfer or to be put on waitlist.


We will not be around then :shock:

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 pm
Total Likes: 3


PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge