Secondary School Third Languages

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Postby emoh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 pm

nicnac wrote:
MyBaby wrote:
ky wrote:Hi ,

When will know whether my ds get the 3rd language he has selected?

Your child will receive the option form which will indicate the outcome of his 3rd language when he/she reports to his assigned secondary school tomorrow. Then he/she will need to exercise the option and go to MOELC to register and buy books. Usually, it is on 30 Dec.

If your child did not get the 3rd language that he/she wants, you can go to MOELC to fill in an appeal form to transfer or to be put on waitlist.

We will not be around then :shock:

From the MOELC website:

http://moelc.moe.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/index-2.html

2017 Sec 1 Registration – Sec 1 Registration on Friday 30 Dec, anytime from 8.30am to 5pm.
Please register at your assigned MOELC language centre (Bishan or Newton) to confirm that you are taking up the offer of a place on the assigned Third Language Programme.
Classes have been pre-allocated so there is no need to queue up before 8.30 am. Please present your Student Pass or Birth Certificate for registration. If you are unable to register personally, your parent may register on your behalf.
Places that are not taken up on Fri 30 Dec 2016, will be reallocated to other applicants.

Lesson commencement dates will depend on the timetable allocated to you. Lessons will begin week commencing 9 Jan 2017. Please confirm the actual date at the respective MOELC campus during registration.
If your parents are driving, they should park at the car parks nearby:
Newton Campus - e.g. Newton Food Centre
Bishan Campus – e.g. Bishan Sports Stadium car park. The entrance to the car park is just after the An-Nahdhah Mosque and before MOELC (Bishan)

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby nicnac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Thank you for the link, emoh!

We won't be around. Hopefully we can find someone to help us then.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby allcc6 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:19 pm

I've Sec 1 (2016) Japanese MOELC materials (txbk, wkbk, CD) to sell. Pm me if interested.

allcc6
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby intjhere » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:31 am

This is an old thread but I will just share my experiences.

I took Malay Special Program (MSP) for my O levels. Did fairly well for that.
Taking a 3rd language requires a lot of determination and hardwork (unless you intend to just score c6)
You need to cope with you core subjects and cca also. 2 lessons of 3 hours a week. If possible, choose a CCA that doesn't clash with your lessons. Also, if you have to go Bishan just for the lessons, do consider the time and energy needed. It will be great to choose a 3rd language that is available in your school. For MSP, you need to reach primary 6 Malay language standard within the 4 years. There is composition, oral, comprehension and listening compre. Not impossible to do well, but you need to put in effort. The textbooks and workbooks are quite cheap if I didn't remember wrongly (about $6 per book). Memory work will help you a lot. Ask me anything about MSP. Hope this helps.

intjhere
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Poohbear » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:57 am

Hi,

Anyone selling year 1 MOELC Jap bks? If yes, pls pm me. Thks.

Poohbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sharon1234 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Please pm me if you wish to buy French books for year 1 and year 2, and the accompanying Larousse Conjugaison and Collins Essential French. They are no longer used by my daughter. Very good condition as she hardly uses them.

sharon1234
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Min Min » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi my ds (in sec1) is taking jap as 3rd Lang. He is struggling to cope with this subject,
especially writing composition. Do you have any recommendation on how to cope, any materials or reference books that is good?
Regards.

Min Min
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sky minecrafter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 am

Min Min wrote:Hi my ds (in sec1) is taking jap as 3rd Lang. He is struggling to cope with this subject, especially writing composition. Do you have any recommendation on how to cope, any materials or reference books that is good?

Hi, compo writing in Japanese is similar to writing in EL or CL, the only thing is as non-native speakers one has lesser vocabulary, etcetera. I'm assuming by now after 6 months ds has learnt by heart the hiragana, katakana and Kanji... Why not... first, master the grammatical structures. Make sure you can form simple sentences like the ones in the school text. わたしは ジョンです。いちねんせいです。にほんのアニメがすきで、にほんごを べんきょうします。(Using hiragana for ease of reading. Typically needs to use Kanji as well.) Next, increase knowledge of verbs (as well as the associated prepositions), いadjectives, なadjectives, conjunctions (the language tends to use these more frequently than us: ですが、だけど)... You can try online sites such as google translate, weblio as well - more user friendly than a book dictionary though not always accurate in predicting what you need. :wink: Keeping a diary in Japanese is useful too.

sky minecrafter
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Min Min » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks sky minecrafter. Btw is there any composition writing books like English and Chinese in the market?

Min Min
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sky minecrafter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Min Min wrote:Btw is there any composition writing books like English and Chinese in the market?

The truth is bunkobon & self-help books are very very cheap in Japan but when exported to Singapore the prices are totally inflated. Don't suggest you buy here; there are lots more better & cheaper publications in bookstores in Japan... Before you go on a Japan book-shopping trip, you can actually get a lot of free materials online. To begin with, make sure you install the Japanese language bar - more efficient to do a google search in Japanese. A quick search gives me these websites ちびむすドリル小学生, 日本語学習サイト. Also try browsing pre-schoolers' picture books in Singapore bookstores?

sky minecrafter
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support