Secondary School Third Languages

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:211

Re: Secondary School Third Languages

Post by phtthp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Japanese is a hot favorite, because is an Asian language, closer to our hearts

Felicia09
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Felicia09 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Any idea if we can selective purchase for Japanese books? or is a must to purchase whole sets as recommended in the booklist? Worry my girl decide to drop the language after few lesson and it will be a waste to buy whole set. If can selective purchase what Japanese books should i buy first? Thank you

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by sky minecrafter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Felicia09 wrote:Any idea if we can selective purchase for Japanese books? or is a must to purchase whole sets as recommended in the booklist? Worry my girl decide to drop the language after few lesson and it will be a waste to buy whole set. If can selective purchase what Japanese books should i buy first?
Hi, you can find their scheme of work here: moelc syllabus (coloured icons), which may help you determine which books are more relevant?

Felicia09
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Felicia09 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:38 am

sky minecrafter wrote:
Felicia09 wrote:Any idea if we can selective purchase for Japanese books? or is a must to purchase whole sets as recommended in the booklist? Worry my girl decide to drop the language after few lesson and it will be a waste to buy whole set. If can selective purchase what Japanese books should i buy first?
Hi, you can find their scheme of work here: moelc syllabus (coloured icons), which may help you determine which books are more relevant?
Thank you for the information

Yeesim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Yeesim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:47 am

Hi, can anyone advise how to appeal for another 3rd language (Spanish) if assigned Arabic to MOELC? I'm afraid DD will not be interested being her 3rd choice. I realised that the format has changed for choosing 3rd Lang, coz my elder DD has all the choice to choose 3rd Lang while my younger DD has only 1 choice each from 3 catergories.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:56 am

Perhaps write an email to

Ministry of Education Language Centre (Spanish), providing reasons for Appeal to Transfer to Spanish.

The email is

moe_lcspanish@moe.edu.sg

(email contain an underscore, not hyphen)

They will reply you, whether possible or not to Transfer.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by Estéema » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:18 am

Felicia09 wrote:Any idea if we can selective purchase for Japanese books? or is a must to purchase whole sets as recommended in the booklist? Worry my girl decide to drop the language after few lesson and it will be a waste to buy whole set. If can selective purchase what Japanese books should i buy first? Thank you
Apparently, only those not circled in my following pics are frequently used. The one circled red not used & circled yellow being hardly used.

Hope it helps in yr decision & budget.

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by sky minecrafter » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:37 am

Hi, I'm surprised that they hardly use たのしくよもう (sorry, my kana conversion keyboard's not functioning). Would reading practices be sufficient then? If it's not too much bother, could you upload 1 passage from the 1st chapter & 1 from the last? Is the other book (not used) しんぶんか しょきゅう2? Yes, this book looks omit-able for Term 1. Thank you.

Yeesim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Yeesim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 pm

phtthp wrote:Perhaps write an email to

Ministry of Education Language Centre (Spanish), providing reasons for Appeal to Transfer to Spanish.

The email is

moe_lcspanish@moe.edu.sg

(email contain an underscore, not hyphen)

They will reply you, whether possible or not to Transfer.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Will try. :xedfingers:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Felicia09 wrote:Any idea if we can selective purchase for Japanese books?

or is a must to purchase whole sets as recommended in the booklist?
Worry my girl decide to drop the language after few lesson and it will be a waste to buy whole set. If can selective purchase what Japanese books should i buy first?
Hi Felicia,

2019 Secondary 1 3rd (foreign) language textbooks and workbooks, are on sale now.
Since now is December school-holiday period, the bookshop at MOELC (Bishan) had already closed, for holiday season. MOELC (Bishan) bookshop will open in January 2019, when new academic school Term re-open.

However, you may still contact the supplier, at telephone 6742-7322 ,inquire whether they still have stock of that Japanese Sec 1 book, that you need (looking for). Do call up supplier to check for stock availability, before going down to purchase. Today Friday (21 Dec 2018), this supplier is opened, for business.

Supplier -

Kim Eng Stationery Traders Co
Business address : Blk 47 Sims Place, #01-181 Singapore
Telephone : 6742 7322

Titles of Textbooks and Workbooks for (Japanese / French / Spanish / German), together with their costs, can be found in below link :-

https://www.moelc.moe.edu.sg/wp-content ... _final.pdf

As to what your content (MOE Japanese syllabus) your child will be learning in 2019 Sec 1, may refer to below link, to check what syllabus-content to be covered (taught) in each Term, because come 2019 September time frame, your Sec 1 child will have to take MOELC Secondary 1 Japanese Year-end exam.

Since yours is Japanese, may click on the "pink-colored" icon

https://www.moelc.moe.edu.sg/textbooks-syllabus/

Wishing you, your child and your family a Blessed, Merry Christmas and a Happy and fun learning, in Japanese year 2019 ahead :-)